anything interesting to do in Columbus?

sbe

just found out I'm headed to Columbus OH the week of 8/4. Anyone familiar with the city, is there anything aviation-related in town that is worth seeing/doing? Just curious.

TIA

Sarah

I don't know about aviation, but I was there in 2000 for the National SPJ convention.

Go see the Science Center (down on the river) across from the Pinta (On of Columbus' sthree ships) replica. Also check out the Art Museum (small but cool) and check out the Hockey Arena area ... kinda cool little district.

I really liked the town and it is one of my places that I wouldn't mind living.

First of all - I'm sorry. How long do you have to endure that terrible fate? lol CMH isn't that bad but kind of dry on interesting aviation stuff. My advice would be to head down to Dayton to see the Air Force Musuem - absolutley amazing if you're into military aviation. It'll easily tie up a whole day. It takes me an hour to get to Dayton and about 2 to get to CMH so I'm guessing Dayton is about an hour drive from CMH.

Unfortunatley you're going to miss the 100 years celebration in Dayton - they've got stuff gong on pretty much every day in Dayton culminating with the air show next week

Jason

Jason was right about the Air Force Museum...the place is amazing. I was just there today dropping some things off for my boss and it looked like they were about to wheel a B-1 into one of the hangars. The drive is probably about an hour and 15 from the Port Columbus Intl.

Other things to do in Columbus...only thing I can really think of is that if you are into the sciences there is a really cool museum up there called COSI. A lot of hands on exhibits and what not, I used to love to go there when I was a kid. I havn't been in a long time and I think they might have just moved into a new building

Thats about all I can think of at this point. It's a nice little city but not really a whole lot to it. Enjoy!

Matt

[ QUOTE ]
I can really think of is that if you are into the sciences there is a really cool museum up there called COSI. A lot of hands on exhibits and what not, I used to love to go there when I was a kid. I havn't been in a long time and I think they might have just moved into a new building

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup thats it COSI (couldn't remember the name) They are now in the old Highschool building down on the Riverfront (Right near the big, new condo buildings).

I really liked the town ... about as "college" as you can get - meaning kinda artsy and sophisticated. Big enough to have a few tall buildings but small enough to not be a PHX or LA (or even an STL for that matter).
grin.gif

ok, thanks guys! A trip down to Dayton might be in order if I can swing it. I'm in town all that workweek at a conference/trade show, but will have some chunks of free time including almost the entire day on Tuesday.

Sarah

Hey there,

Used to live in Columbus... What everyone else is saying is pretty accurate... but I offer a few other suggestions.

If you like Golf... Bolton Field (Golf) was the best place to play and watch GA aircraft out of Bolton Field (TZR). It's right near the airport, and I remember the Fuji Blimp was based out of there. They also used to have aerobatic biplane flying on the weekends... not sure if they still do.

If you like Ribs... JP's BBQ is based right at Bolton Field, is just about the best place to go for the $100 rack of ribs.
smile.gif
Actually, it very reasonably priced and very good! A bit sparcly decorated, but the food makes up for it.

Also, if you get the chance to do anything "Buckeye" related... do it. That town is OSU CRAZY! Never seen anything like it and I probably never will again.

Good luck, and watch out for the "Orange Barrels"! (Folks from Columbus know what I'm talking about.)
smile.gif

Bob

Back