Anyone live(d) in Nashville?

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Possible opportunity for relocation - gathering some initial thoughts - neighborhoods/town suggestions to look at for the following criteria (in order of importance):

1) Good schools
2) Reasonable commute to BNA
3) Family friendly for twin seven year olds
4) Health food grocery options (Whole Foods, etc.)
5) Larger (2.5k or >sqft) homes available in the $400k-$700k price range
6) Non-chain restaurant options

All I know of is that Nashville is growing exponentially more than most places. With that useless tidbit, good luck with your decision!

You might want to look into Murfreesboro if you don't have to make that commute too often. They've got a Sprout's which I think are the most reasonable and up there with the best of the upscale/organic grocery stores I've been to. They've got a Champy's which does great fried chicken and tamales and is a small, very well run chain, but they have a lot of other options too.

You might want to look into Murfreesboro if you don't have to make that commute too often. They've got a Sprout's which I think are the most reasonable and up there with the best of the upscale/organic grocery stores I've been to. They've got a Champy's which does great fried chicken and tamales and is a small, very well run chain, but they have a lot of other options too.

Thanks - it would be a daily commute M-F, so that might be a bit too far out, but I appreciate it

Thanks - it would be a daily commute M-F, so that might be a bit too far out, but I appreciate it

The commute through the center of the city is the time killer.

Right amidst the middle of the city everybody has to cross the same 3 lane section and for some reason that causes daily gridlock. If you live anywhere on the North half of the city it’s actually faster to take 155 around easy to the Airport because while it’s a slower speed limit 55 vs 70, nobody is doing 70 consistently down I24 South.

The only place I know to live is Germantown and that’s not a neighborhood for the parentally concerned. That’s the neighborhood for a 5 dollar Uber to Broadway where you drink enough to accidentally become a parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived in Smyrna (about 15 mi SE of Nashville) about 8 yrs ago and loved it!!! Spent a week in Smyrna about a year ago and hated it!! Couldn’t believe how much it’s changed. Someone told me that Nashville has been the fastest growing population city in the US for a couple years, and I could believe it. Traffic was insane, prices were astronomical, overall not the same place I lived at 8 years ago. I wanted to move back until I revisited.

Good luck!

I lived in Smyrna (about 15 mi SE of Nashville) about 8 yrs ago and loved it!!! Spent a week in Smyrna about a year ago and hated it!! Couldn’t believe how much it’s changed. Someone told me that Nashville has been the fastest growing population city in the US for a couple years, and I could believe it. Traffic was insane, prices were astronomical, overall not the same place I lived at 8 years ago. I wanted to move back until I revisited.

Good luck!
I had a good time in (and around) Smyrna when I spent a few months there installing some finishing equipment in a SquareD factory.

But that was back around 1980...

Tennessee: “we ain’t got no state income taxes.”

Anyone who has driven on any of their roads: “yeah, we know.”

Chicago land’s roads are much worse in my experience compared to TN. I’m in TN a lot for work, and live in IL. We have some of the highest property taxes, and moderately high state income.

Maybe with a state income tax in Tennessee the roads would be better, but that’s not the case in Illinois.

Chicago land’s roads are much worse in my experience compared to TN. I’m in TN a lot for work, and live in IL. We have some of the highest property taxes, and moderately high state income.

Maybe with a state income tax in Tennessee the roads would be better, but that’s not the case in Illinois.
We have state, county and city imposed taxes here in L.A. And we still rank pretty high every year amongst the cities with the worst roads. Clearly taxes alone aren't the answer.

Back