Anyone going to KDAB (Daytona)

scottbv04

Just wanted to see if anyone else got Daytona ATCT/TRACON. Looking to meet new people who are going to my facility!!!!

Good luck at DAB! I have spent 6 years in that airspace at erau and flight instructing, and the controllers at DAB are the best. There is no better feeling than waiting in a twin at 7L November 5 with the ATIS reporting the temp at 31C with seven C172s on final. Instructors are paid by the hobbs meter, so all those times with students flying back to Daytona from FXL or 28J and you hear, "Riddle 935, remain clear of daytona class charlie... expect 10 minutes and monitor my frequency for call back." = money! And yes... the back course 25R.... there is not a better reason to perform a detailed preflight then when your 6 miles east of OCCUR on the arch to the back course at 1600 feet 12 miles from the coast.

As I said, and I mean this with all honesty: DAB controllers are the best! They have helped me countless times during thunderstorms, gear problems, and when a power-off 180 on 7R wasn't going to happen.

Awesome facility - You'll love it. A great area for young folks too! Beaches, NASCAR, Bike Week, Disney not too far away. The cost of living is dropping backwards. So, houses are becoming very affordable. The Central FL hub is big about selecting from within, so if you have any desires of moving up MCO is always an option down the road. But who would want to leave DAB?! Enjoy and best wishes!

I agree, great facility. I was hoping I would get selected for KDAB but I got ZJX. I went to Embry-Riddle so I am familiar with the area. Best of luck and congrats.

Yeah I went to Riddle Also I am just really surprised that I don't have to relocate anywhere. I really don't know how that happened. I shadowed a controller from there over a year ago I am not sure if he put my name in or something. I guess good things happen to good people!! Yeah the controllers there are awesome they all were really nice!!

Applied CTI : May 05th/08
Referral List: June 1st/08
NYC PEPC + TOL July 10th/08
Waiting for FOL

I agree... from having visited multiple facilities, the controllers at DAB are the most understanding and helpful around. While you might hear it said from other controller applicants in denial "yeah, well all the traffic at DAB moves at 90 kts" -let them huff and puff. DAB controllers handle the delicate balance of student pilots and jet aircraft everyday with such talent. So when you hear on ground control, “Umm, umm, Daytona Ground…. umm, Riddle 465…. umm, student pilot, umm ready for taxi with umm yeah from Romeo 3” Ok.. that was rough, but there is a reason in the fall semester when all the 300 private pilot applicants begin to solo that you really see the talent of these guys over at the tower. Best of all is when all those solo guys find their way back into the airspace after their first local solo… the instructors at erau will listen to a handheld just to behold the comedy. “Riddle 465, Daytona Approach, radar contact, fly heading 180, and maintain 2000 feet, vectors for runway 7L, squawk 0232.” And you hear back in reply.. “Ummm, yeah, Riddle 465.. ummm thanks.” “Riddle 465, I need a read back sir, 180 on the heading, 2000 feet and a squawk of 0232.” And the second try… “Ok, ummm, heading 2000, and runway 180 for Riddle 465.”

It’s the best!

Back