Anyone flying themselves there?

USMC-SSGT

anyone???

Thinking about taking possibly an arrow or a duchess there from SoCal KCRQ...anyone in this area...if i can make it (80% sure) i will have 3 empty seats

I'm probably not going due to finances, but out of curiosity, where is CRQ? I'm guessing San Diego area?

Carlsbad - Palomar. Just a bit N of San Diego.
In my opinion, the best airport in San Diego 90% of the time. (The other 10% of the time is when you're informed you'll have to wait half-an-hour to take off or land.

Plus, it's a nice short hop to Las Vegas, only 2 hours or so. P

Palomar has changed alot in the 7 months i was gone. We now have premier jet and almost the entire south side of the runway is lined with major jet hangars. I would say their jet and corporate traffic has increased exponentially not to mention it is still a hub for skywest brasilias. I am glad to fly out of here though. I have decided to finish the remaining of my ratings here before i get out of the Marines and move on because i love the airspace. Nothing builds experience like a super busy class D surrounded by two busy class B's and another class C and three MOA's if you can handle 300 hours in this airspace it will set you up nice for most anywhere else.

new note on the flying to NJC...i am starting my PMEL this week so i may substitute the arrow for the duchess. Cut those two hours down to 1.5

I would still like to go to Ari, however with a modified plan.

my local school here in Carlsbad offers better prices and i can actually do the ratings while i am still sitting here in SoCal cheaper instead of just flying around sightseeing and they are 141 VA approved. So starting this week when the paperwork goes through I am going to fly 6 hours per week every week until April starting this week with my private multi and then multi and single commerical and see how far i get.

I was going to fly alot anyway building hours between here and when i get there but i might as well save a few bucks and get the ratings done. As of April first i will be sitting around 300 hrs.

Where Ari ben comes in.....i want to get hired as an instructor there to get the hours but I will probably just fall a few hours short of their 350 requirement but with all other requirements left so what i was thinking of is get all my ratings except for maybe my MEI and then go to ari, do my MEI in one week with an FSDO and see if I could get hired with approximately 325 hrs, 190 multi X amount of instrument.

So in short...yes I am still going to Ari in April as we had planned but i may be getting there merely as an instructor or for just the MEI and then instructing depends on how much i get accomplished while working full time

That sounds like a good plan. Hope Ari's timing for needing CFI's fits your timing. This whole biz is about timing.

Are you still in the the military when you say you are working full time?

Kinda curious about your times. What are the mins to rent the Dutchess solo?

I am still in the military that is the full time part (approx m-f 0600-1630ish) It definately is all about timing but the good thing is that as of April first I will be starting 60 days terminal leave so I will be getting paid for two more months after i get out, If ari is not looking then I will just finish every rating here (should be right around april 1st timeframe) and look elsewhere. I have no ties to Ari, i just like what i have heard and it would be me an hour and a half from my mom in Naples and an hour and a half from my sister in Miami USCG Air Station. I am flexible though, i just dont want to instruct at a mom and pop forever for to long because life is too short to time build at 25 hrs per month. Who knows though, if Ari doesnt work out I could also instruct here for a few hundred hours and then maybe banner tow or something, i currently have around 50 hrs in a citabria.

My current times are approx 150 TT approx 50 T-wheel approx 30 Complex and a few high performance (my last page totals)

Their mins to solo the duchess are around 200TT with 50 in multi or 25 dual in type. It is mom and pop though and the owner said he can make some exceptions due to the fact that all of my duchess time and instruction will be in his plane with his instruction but it will work out close because I will be doing my initial multi with an instructor for around 15 hrs or so and then the commercial for around 35-40 or so (estimates) so by the time I would need to start building some time in it I will be at around 200TT with 50 or so in type and another 30 in complex.

Once i meet mins for solo I am just going to pay the full price and fly alone, i am not looking for any safety pilot or shared time while I am getting my ratings.

So there...thats my plan in a nutshell!

thanks... 6 hours per week will be a little rough on my working my usual 50 hour week and refusing to fly away every free minute I could have with my wife (the regionals or freight will take care of that when i get there) but every month or so I will take 3 days off and fly three times each day to catch up so i figure 9 - 12 extra hours per month when i do that to catch up.

And per JC protocol you will all have an update every important step of the way (i will spare the thread where i learn how to start two engines instead of one) Providing it all goes as planned I should be writing about a multi checkride in a few weeks!

Back