Anybody done BasicMed?

SlumTodd_Millionaire

Most Hated Member
So, as many of you know, due to some antidepressants I'm now on, holding a first class medical is now not an option (at least until the FAA pulls their head out of their ass on SSRIs). I'm selling my Cessna 421, and I was thinking my flying days were over, but I was having lunch with @ComplexHiAv8r last week while I was in Akron, and he brought up that I qualify for BasicMed because I've never failed a medical, I just never renewed it again after going on the new meds. While I can't use BasicMed with the 421, I could replace it with a Cirrus and that would qualify under BasicMed.

Has anyone gone the BasicMed route? It looks like it's just a simple form to fill out that any licensed doctor can sign, but I'm wondering if the average doctor is willing to sign FAA paperwork that they aren't familiar with? Anybody have any experience with BasicMed?

My uncle does it. When he retired he was tired of getting a stress test done every year to renew his medical (due to prior cardiac event). The cardiologist didn’t like having to due the extensive one that the FAA required of him. So he bought a Cherokee six 300 with six seats which qualifies for basic med and does that now. I have heard some doctors won’t sign it but his family doctor is a pilot so he is all for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t @Murdoughnut do it for similar reasons?

Yes, I did it for the same DQ'ing drugs.. I tried early on in Basic Med by calling AMEs, but couldn't find any that would do it. It was still too new and none of them wanted to assume the risk. A few years later, after moving to RDU, I took the form to my primary care doctor and explained what it was. He was fine examining each of the areas on the form and signing me off on them.

I could see some doctors not wanting to sign off on something they're not uber familiar with, but fortunately mine was ok with it. I imagine AMEs are now more familiar with it as well and more are willing to do it.

Has anyone gone the BasicMed route? It looks like it's just a simple form to fill out that any licensed doctor can sign, but I'm wondering if the average doctor is willing to sign FAA paperwork that they aren't familiar with? Anybody have any experience with BasicMed?

I went that route. I can still pass a Class 1 but I am on my last airplane and didn't want any surprises with future physicals. I am using my AME. The online test that you do every two years is a pain but very doable. The doc visit as you know is every four years.

So, as many of you know, due to some antidepressants I'm now on, holding a first class medical is now not an option (at least until the FAA pulls their head out of their ass on SSRIs). I'm selling my Cessna 421, and I was thinking my flying days were over, but I was having lunch with @ComplexHiAv8r last week while I was in Akron, and he brought up that I qualify for BasicMed because I've never failed a medical, I just never renewed it again after going on the new meds. While I can't use BasicMed with the 421, I could replace it with a Cirrus and that would qualify under BasicMed.

I can’t help you with basic med, but I am interested in your 421. Ive been debating whether to buy an aero commander(curb appeal). Dm me the info

Would you still need a special issuance? I’m not super familiar but thought that having to check block m on the FAA medical meant you still needed an SI?
And people who buy Cirrus’s are the type of people who buy Tesla’s…. Wait, never mind :). ( j/k, they’re pretty nice )

Would you still need a special issuance? I’m not super familiar but thought that having to check block m on the FAA medical meant you still needed an SI?
And people who buy Cirrus’s are the type of people who buy Tesla’s…. Wait, never mind :). ( j/k, they’re pretty nice )

Not for Basic Med. The FAA doesn't even ask you for your Basic Med paperwork - you just have to keep it with you.

And my club's -20 just got back from three months of MX - took it up today - damn I love flying that thing.

I have been BasicMed for a few years now. Other than reviewing the AC, the best summary Is the FAA FAQ.

There are some mental health (and other) exceptions which require a one-time SI, but the mental health ones are pretty much limited to disorders manifested by overt acts, psychosis, bipolar disorder, and substance abuse.

In terms of doctor acceptance, it varies. Something new always raises liability concerns. So it runs the gamut from"no problem" (my PCP's attitude - she does mine with my regular annual preventive care visit) all the way to, "my organization won't let me."

Only way to know if your regular doc will do it is to ask. But come prepared to explain. Don't expect a doc with no aviation experience to not wonder about it. I even bring copies of applicable portions of the AME Guide to explain what the FAA us looking for. if yours won't, I think AOPA has been collecting a list of those who will.

Back