Any part 61 pilots here?

ahunt

I hold a FAA Commercial w/ Instrument and I'm looking to get my dispatch license. All of my flying has been done under part 91 and I have zero experience with part 121 or 135 operations. I called up IFOD and was told that I would qualify for their 2-week accelerated program as long as I have the written done before I come in.

From what I understand, IFOD spends the first 2 weeks teaching ground school, 3rd week to prepare for the written, and the last 2 weeks on flight planning and preparing for the practical test.

My main concern with doing the 2-week is that I would miss out on some important ground knowledge like part 121 regs and 737 systems, but I don't really want to sit through some of the other lectures listening to them explan how to read METARs and approach plates because I already know how to.

For someone like me who already has some aviation experience, would it be better to just get the Gleim or ASA book and study on my own?

Anyone been in a similar position as me before? And did you do the full 5-week or 2-week program?

Ok this post is getting long... but I'll add 3 things:
  • I'm current and proficient with part 9 stuff at the moment, I'm confident I can go pass my commercial checkride right now if I had to retake it.
  • Cost is somewhat of a factor. The difference between the 2 program is $1,500, and I would have to spend an additional $1K on accomodation if I do the 5-week.
  • I'll be using Sheppard Air so passing the written is not a problem.

Last edited:
I hold a FAA Commercial w/ Instrument and I'm looking to get my dispatch license. All of my flying has been done under part 91 and I have zero experience with part 121 or 135 operations. I called up IFOD and was told that I would qualify for their 2-week accelerated program as long as I have the written done before I come in.

From what I understand, IFOD spends the first 2 weeks teaching ground school, 3rd week to prepare for the written, and the last 2 weeks on flight planning and preparing for the practical test.

My main concern with doing the 2-week is that I would miss out on some important ground knowledge like part 121 regs and 737 systems, but I don't really want to sit through some of the other lectures listening to them explan how to read METARs and approach plates because I already know how to.

For someone like me who already has some aviation experience, would it be better to just get the Gleim or ASA book and study on my own?

Anyone been in a similar position as me before? And did you do the full 5-week or 2-week program?

Ok this post is getting long... but I'll add 3 things:
  • I'm current and proficient with part 91 flying at the moment, I'm confident I can go pass my commercial checkride right now if I had to.
  • Cost is somewhat of a factor. The difference between the 2 program is $1,500, and I would have to spend an additional $1K on accomodation if I do the 5-week.
  • I'll be using Sheppard Air so passing the written is not a problem.

Not a pilot, but I did go to IFOD.

We had several people join our class for the flight planning portion that did really well with prior knowledge as a commercial pilot.

They used sheppardair and/or ASA book for the written. Also the school gives you a study guide for the FAA exam which has everything you’d need including the 121 stuff.

You’d probably be fine.

Not a pilot, but I did go to IFOD.

We had several people join our class for the flight planning portion that did really well with prior knowledge as a commercial pilot.

They used sheppardair and/or ASA book for the written. Also the school gives you a study guide for the FAA exam which has everything you’d need including the 121 stuff.

You’d probably be fine.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if those people that joined in the last 2 weeks have prior 121 experience?

And a follow up question - how flexible are the instructors with their schedule? Are they willing to work with you after class on areas you're weak on?

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if those people that joined in the last 2 weeks have prior 121 experience?

And a follow up question - how flexible are the instructors with their schedule? Are they willing to work with you after class on areas you're weak on?

They were absolutely flexible and willing to provide extra help! All the instructors are WONDERFUL.

The majority of MY class had no prior 121 pilot experience. A few had commercial licenses. We had some ATC people. Lots of varied backgrounds which was helpful as a student.

It sounds like you will be just fine! Good luck!

I already have my commercial. Just wanted a DX license.
Got it. They give you a book with everything in it, and I don't imagine it would be difficult for you to pick up the 737 "systems". We had a 777 Captain show up later, he was fine. You should be fine. Good luck!

I've got my PPL and did the 6 day course at AGS. Took me about a month or two to study for my written using their courseware and supplementing it with King Schools and Gleim. It wasn't as bad over there, but as you could imagine a lot of info in 6 days.

I too got my comm/inst, but that was back in the day. My knowledge wasn't solid (I'd forgotten a lot), let alone current (I learned about TCAs, ATAs, etc., not Class B airspace, Class C airspace, etc. that's now used.). Therefore, when I enrolled in Sheffield two years ago, I opted for the full five week program. Unless someone is current and fresh with their knowledge, I'd recommend the full five, six, or eight week program, depending on what your school offers. Thought it was more expensive, I'm glad I did the full five weeks at Sheffield, because I felt like I'd covered all my bases.

I'd recommend calling Sheffield, ATS, and Jepps also. While I cannot speak for Jepps or ATS, Sheffield does have accelerated programs; they have two and three week options that might suit you. They also have an online program that would be worth a look. I'd give Sheffield a call, tell them your situation, then see what they recommend.

Back