Any Job in Michigan

twotwowoo

I'm wondering if any of you guys know of any job openings at companies in Michigan. I'm graduating from college in a few months and I need to find something. It doesn't even have to be aviation related, just something that pays the bills and has opportunities for advancement.

Before you suggest this, I've already hit monster.com, experience.com, university career services, local newspapers, and talked to friends and relatives. Nothing!

The vast majority of open positions that I have found require years of experience and/or certification; and the few that are hiring new college grads are dead-end service jobs paying Mesa wages. You know -- fast food, pizza delivery, bartending, housekeeping, child care, etc. I'm certainly not above working those jobs, and I have many friends (mostly college grads) in those vocations. However, it would be nice to actually begin a career instead of just finding yet another temporary job.

Anyway, I apologize for this long, rambling post, and thanks for the assistance!

Slim pickins' right now. Im from Grand Haven, Michigan. Hoping to go back there in a couple months when i finish up my CFI, CFII and MEI ratings. I know SHAPE CORP., GENTEX, and Steelcase have layed off many many workers. Good luck with your search!!

What is your degree/what did you study? Can you weld? Any other useful skills/abilities/trades?

I work in Nuclear Power on the sunset coast, my plant has two units. Right now, Unit one is down until 2010 because it threw some turbine blades and is being overhauled. Management is trying to tell us that we will be online in 2009, but I think they are only saying that so our company stock doesn't take dive. Nobody here believes a word of it. There are literally thousands of contractors here and new ones are hired in every week. Some are skilled laborers, some are unskilled laborers.

Unit two is scheduled to come off-line for refueling in late March. There will be another hiring surge of contractors when that happens.

I can see how to get a contractor job out here. I don't think the contractors will be back until Jan 5, but I'll look into it. Day & Zimmerman NPS is our main contractor. They have scaffolders, welders, pipefitters, electricians, engineers, mechanics, carpenters, insulators, asbestos abatement, heavy equipment operators, riggers, truck drivers, and lots of other types of jobs. There are also lots of commercial divers and dive assistants here from Underwater Construction Corporation in Baroda. Wackenhut provides Security if you are interested in being an armed security officer - that's easy money!

Jobs in nuclear power usually pay better than the equivalent position in any other industry.

I can look at our company listing and see what we are looking for as well. Every once in a while we hire mechanics, Instument & Control techs (think avionics type of field), electricians, welders, operators, and engineers.

You could also try Michigan Works. It might be a good place to find a job.

Unfortunately, I'm graduating with an aviation degree. Yes, I know. I wasn't able to complete my flight training due to medical reasons, so I can't get a flight job. I'll look into the nuclear plant facility, I live about 45 minutes from there so it would be an easy commute. I don't have any certifications, so I doubt I'd be eligible for any of those jobs. The Michigan Works office near me closed (!), and I believe the closest one is in Kalamazoo. I'll have to check them out sometime next month.

I know the answer is probably no, but is anyone hiring ground instructors?

Look into trade schools. You could get your cdl quickly( 1 month). Go to electrician school, plumbing, welding, carpentry, etc....

I have my cdl and it has really helped me out during tough times. Find one of them that interests you and research it. It is pretty rough starting out with any career/trade so pick one that you can get through the tough part before you get your feet under you.

Looks like we're looking for an entry-level mechanic. Right now this is only posted internally for 10 days per a Union requirement. Even if I gave a POC, you wouldn't be allowed to apply until after the 10 days is over. If the position isn't filled, then it will be posted externally at AEP.com. I stopped in and talked to HR about it and they don't anticipate it being filled from within since it is a Mechanic-C entry level position. I would anticipate lots of interest in it if/after it goes public.

Maintenance Mechanic - C

Overview

Date Posted: Dec 23, 2008
End Date: Jan 2, 2009
Job Code: 47312
City: Bridgman
State: MI
Category: Energy/Utilities
Full Time: Yes
Requisition Number: 5259
Reports To: Steven Vonk
Minimum Salary: 47340.8
Midpoint Salary: 48828
Business Unit/Region: Site Ops
Department: Maintenance
Salary Grade: 800
FLSA: Non-Exempt
Relocation: No

Description

Responsible for providing assistance for mechanical maintenance of plant equipment and facilities while concurrently participating in any prescribed training and/or qualifications identified as prerequisites for advancement to the position of Maintenance Mechanic B. This is an entry level position.
Utilize a working knowledge of hand tools and portable power tools and their correct usage in order to maintain plant equipment.

Uutilizing a working knowledge of basic measuring tools such as rules, scales, straight edges, dividers, squares and protractors, layout simple figures on flat surfaces.

Calculate areas, volumes, weights, etc. utilizing basic mathematical concepts.

Comprehend moderately complex written material such as procedures, instructions, technical manuals, etc.

Interpret simple blueprints, diagrams, drawings, flowprints, etc.

Perform similar or less skilled work as assigned.

Assist employees of a higher classification.

Perform any tasks for which qualified via prescribed training and/or qualification programs.

Prepare and maintain records as required. This will include the accurate completion of job orders and writing new ones using the NPM system.

Obtain clearance permits and determine that the equipment to be worked on has been properly cleared and tagged (upon completion of the appropriate training).

Assist engineers and others with root cause determination of equipment/component failures.

Adhere to all radiological control work practices within the assigned area of responsibility and contamination control program requirements. Identify and correct improper contamination practices as they occur.

Perform all duties and work with other employees in a safe manner, in compliance with all appropriate Company safety policies and rules.

Support and participate in Emergency Plan activities as assigned, in accordance with the procedures and policies applicable for the assigned role.

Work with or in the vicinity of hazardous materials.

Undertake other responsibilities as may be assigned by proper authority.

Minimum Requirements

High school diploma, GED, or the equivalent.
Prior maintenance experience in commercial setting preferred.
Must have at least 5 years' experience where the incumbent worked successfully in the maintenance field and has a basic understanding of mechanical concepts or equivalent Nuclear Navy experience.
Successful completion of the Plant Maintenance Selection System (MASS) test is required for this position. A review of Employment Testing Information, Test-Taking Tips, and the POSS Practice Test may be helpful. A link to these materials may be found at AEP.com Careers by selecting Employment testing. A physical abilities assessment is also required for this position.

Good luck man, I skated out on west Michigan about 3 years ago because there wasn't any work when I graduated from Western. I have my degree in philosophy and had my CSEL/MEL and CFI/II/MEI and I couldn't buy a job in the midwest. I think I had 15 flight instructor interviews back in late 2005/early 2006 and nobody was really looking then.

So, off to Texas I went...then Los Angeles, and now Park City, UT. Me and the wife (TheShortOne) would like to get back home to Michigan, but the only way that's going to happen is if I can get into law school or she can get a high paying job back home (good freakin' luck, right?). The economy there is a disaster and if I were you, I'd head the heck out as soon as you possibly can.

Also, if you don't mind talking about it, what medicaled you out?

Me and the wife (TheShortOne) would like to get back home to Michigan, but the only way that's going to happen is if I can get into law school or she can get a high paying job back home (good freakin' luck, right?). The economy there is a disaster and if I were you, I'd head the heck out as soon as you possibly can.

Lots of areas are hurting for sure, but there some isolated bright spots as well. Here in GRR there is a mini-boom going on in the medical field for example. There is quite a bit of new research and high-tech medical related expansion going on in town thanks to some big money investors with foresight. (Wiki article.) This town has done a good job of investing in the future and it's paying off, even while we are taking huge hits because of automotive and office furniture declines.

Grand Rapids - The Michigan State University Medical School building is just one of many major changes on Michigan Street. More than one billion dollars worth of construction is underway, or planned for the Medical Mile.

By the time all of the construction is done; there will be thousands of new health care jobs, more research into illnesses, and patients will have greater access to care; right on Michigan Street in Grand Rapids.

Story here.

Good luck man, I skated out on west Michigan about 3 years ago because there wasn't any work when I graduated from Western. I have my degree in philosophy and had my CSEL/MEL and CFI/II/MEI and I couldn't buy a job in the midwest. I think I had 15 flight instructor interviews back in late 2005/early 2006 and nobody was really looking then.

So, off to Texas I went...then Los Angeles, and now Park City, UT. Me and the wife (TheShortOne) would like to get back home to Michigan, but the only way that's going to happen is if I can get into law school or she can get a high paying job back home (good freakin' luck, right?). The economy there is a disaster and if I were you, I'd head the heck out as soon as you possibly can.

I feel your pain. I'm also attending Western, graduating Summer I 2009. NO ONE is hiring here in Three Rivers, not even fast food. Kalamazoo isn't much better. I'm not interested in moving. I'll work at McDonald's if I have to.

Also, if you don't mind talking about it, what medicaled you out?

Sure. I got sick on a cross-country flight a year ago and had to divert to a nearby airport (landed safely). It was later determined to be due to an anxiety attack. The doctor I went to a few days later just happened to be an AME.

Have you gotten a second opinion on that? I mean, I'd fight that tooth and nail if I were you.

Yes, I did get a second opinion, and I got the same answer. I don't have enough money to fight this, the FAA will want all kinds of tests done that I simply can't afford.

Yes, I did get a second opinion, and I got the same answer. I don't have enough money to fight this, the FAA will want all kinds of tests done that I simply can't afford.

you've spent a ton of money on training already. I'd say bite the bullet, take out some loans, and fight it.

Your bills can only be a fraction of flying at WMU!

you've spent a ton of money on training already. I'd say bite the bullet, take out some loans, and fight it.

Your bills can only be a fraction of flying at WMU!

True, but taking out loans now would be risky at best, seeing as how I don't have a job. Money I've spent already for training is a sunk cost. Don't worry, I do plan to fight this eventually, but not until I'm on firmer financial footing.

Wackenhut security is hiring Nuclear Power Plant security officers in SW Michigan right now, no previous experience necessary. They will train you.

You have to apply at the Benton Harbor Michigan Works office between 9am - 2pm. I think Friday Feb 20 is the last day they are accepting applications. Pay starts at $15.44/hr but you should be making over $20/hr within about a year.

Back