Any JCers Based At ORD?

Hacker15e

Who am I? Where are my pants?
Are any of you based at O'Hare? I'm flying through there in two weeks, and need to find someplace secure to store some luggage for a week.

Are there lockers or anything in the area where I can leave something luggage-sized for a week?

The issue is that I'm travelling to Vegas to join my squadron, and I have to hand-carry my flight gear: helmet, mask, G-suit, parachute harness, etc. It's all very bulky and heavy to carry around. Usually it's tolerable to tote that thing around on one or two flights, but this time there's a twist: I'm going on a week's worth of leave while I'm in the US, and taking six separate airline flights during the week. I'm going all over the US to three or four different spots, and I don't want to be toting that dead weight around and paying baggage fees for it every time.

So, I just want to leave it in O'Hare for the week that I'll be on leave, and pick it back up when I resume my trip to Vegas.

Any ideas??

Careful with this one.

I know the sorta stuff that's in military flight gear.

Don't leave it anywhere in the airport. The TSA would have kittens.

I'm an idiot about anything related to the US military but isn't there a base around there that you could talk into storing your gear for you? I would think that would be a bit more secure.

Geez, that's a toughy.

I know there's the 169th at Peoria, but I'm sure the 128th at MKE is closer. As stated above, would it be possible to give them a call and ask if they could hook a brother up?

How's your plane getting to Nellis?

One thing to add: with this week's press fiasco regarding the charging of soldiers for a 3d bag, you should be golden to carry whateverthe#### you want to without being charged. -- last resort

You could always just wear it all on the flights you're taking...that would make the other passengers feel really relaxed I'm sure ;)

How's your plane getting to Nellis?

My squadron -- and the jets -- are all ready out there for Red Flag. I'm swapping out with another pilot for Green Flag. Then I'll fly an Eagle home after the exercise.

Until then, I get to have a leisurely flight over the Atlantic on an American 777. I'll actually be able to stand up to pee and not have to wear a poopy suit on this pond crossing.

Thanks for the responses so far. I know that it's a touchy subject, leaving something in/near an airport unattended for a week so that's why I was asking the commercial bro network here.

The gear should all be "safe" -- there are no oxygen cylinders or anything in there. The only thing is that there will be a shroud-line cutter knife in my G-suit. There's a beacon that xmits on 243.0 and 121.5 when activated in my chute harness. That's about it.

Ideally, I'd like to just leave it locked up somewhere in the airport, either in a locker or with someone I trust not to steal it or mess with it.

I all ready emailed the USO at O'Hare to see if they've got any ideas.

My squadron -- and the jets -- are all ready out there for Red Flag. I'm swapping out with another pilot for Green Flag. Then I'll fly an Eagle home after the exercise.

Until then, I get to have a leisurely flight over the Atlantic on an American 777. I'll actually be able to stand up to pee and not have to wear a poopy suit on this pond crossing.

Thanks for the responses so far. I know that it's a touchy subject, leaving something in/near an airport unattended for a week so that's why I was asking the commercial bro network here.

The gear should all be "safe" -- there are no oxygen cylinders or anything in there. The only thing is that there will be a shroud-line cutter knife in my G-suit. There's a beacon that xmits on 243.0 and 121.5 when activated in my chute harness. That's about it.

Ideally, I'd like to just leave it locked up somewhere in the airport, either in a locker or with someone I trust not to steal it or mess with it.

Maybe a nearby hotel has a secure place to store it. I know there is a hilton that is physically attached to the airport.

Maybe a nearby hotel has a secure place to store it. I know there is a hilton that is physically attached to the airport.

I know the Hilton has lockers. Some people that use the crewroom as a crashpad keep their things at the Hilton. My guess is the USO or the Hilton would be your best bet.

Contacting the USO seems like the best option you have. I'm based at O'Hare, and although I try to spend as little time outside of security as possible, I don't recall seeing any lockers anywhere.

The other thing you might try is contacting the O'Hare Hilton (it's right on the field) to see if they would be willing to stash it for you for a while.

Even though you don't know me, I'll offer to stow it at my apartment. I'm a 40 minute train ride from ORD. I have a huge closet I can store it in, so that way you wouldn't have to worry about my dog chewing on your mask. Ha! But really, the offer is out there. I know how much of a pain it is travelling with a buttload of stuff, since I've been in that position before.

PM me if you're interested.

There haven't been lockers at ORD for many years. Like the others said, the USO or the Hilton are probably your best options. If I still lived up there I'd help you out!

hacker,
Does your survival vest have the CO2 cartridges still in it? TSA "confisicated" those from one of my pilots at SFO (after clearing security in Rio, and TSA in ATL).

hacker,
Does your survival vest have the CO2 cartridges still in it? TSA "confisicated" those from one of my pilots at SFO (after clearing security in Rio, and TSA in ATL).

Fortunately, the vests were carried over in the jets, so I don't have to carry it.

I'm sure TSA would shart themselves over that.

Hell, I'll be surprised if they don't totally freak over just having a helmet, mask, and parachute harness with me.

Fortunately, the vests were carried over in the jets, so I don't have to carry it.

I'm sure TSA would shart themselves over that.

Hell, I'll be surprised if they don't totally freak over just having a helmet, mask, and parachute harness with me.
I wish I could be there when you go through the security checkpoint. That is going to be hilarious!:laff:

Yeah, but it all depends on the TSA agent on what they say. The funny thing is that the CO2 cartridges are almost identical to the ones that are in the airplane in your vest under the seat...
Any luck with finding that 15 driver from a while back?

I'm in the O'hare area as well. I used to work right next to ORD. I'll see if I can think of something that's around there.

Do you work in intrusion detection and penetration testing?

Do you work in intrusion detection and penetration testing?

Yeah, I'm hoping some sucker will take possession of my luggage, which is actually a dirty bomb, so I will be able to expose the weaknesses of their security.

Then I'm going to climb up the outside of some RJs.

Back