Anxiety

moppetrey

Hello folks,

Now for the last couple of weeks, I have been dealing with anxiety. I also asked my girlfriend to marry me during this period as well. I just graduated from a top notch flight school and am actively pursuing a Flight Instructing job in Florida. I have never had anxiety before but I talked to a therapist and she told me that these types of things occur when you are concerned about the future and stability and such. In this profession really?? She also had mentioned she had seen numerous pilots before. I have been able to relax a bit more and see that I am heading in the right direction without any sort of medication or help. This leads the question, do many pilots deal with anxiety and why arent some anti anxiety drugs allowed to be used. I mean isnt this a stressful job?

Any idea?

[ QUOTE ]
Now for the last couple of weeks, I have been dealing with anxiety. I also asked my girlfriend to marry me during this period as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry. I had a bit of an anxiety attack myself when I was about to propose to my (now) wife. I too, sought professional assistance (in the form of a doctor to make sure I wasn't having a freakin' heart attack - seriously), so you are not alone there.

It's normal to fret over being able to provide for yourself, let alone for another.

Any profession has a certain degree of stress. The professional pilot is certainly not immune.

But, if you are concerned that you can't handle it - don't be. It's normal. However, if you continue experiencing problems, continue to talk to a therapist.

Always, always, always find some way - or some one - to talk it out with. Do NOT internalize it as that will only make things worse.

The long and the short of it is - you're normal. Don't sweat it.

If you have any questions or want to bend an ear - feel free to PM me (private message).

Good luck!!

R2F

Thanks man it really makes me feel better that other folks have gone through similar experiences.

Yeah, I am definetly on the rebound. But, for a while, it is a scary thing.

Back