Antarctic rescue

JeppUpdater

Kenn Borek Air out of Canada current has a couple Twotters making a rescue attempt for one or two people at the South Pole.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ick-scientists-from-the-south-pole/?tid=sm_tw

Between February and October, only one type of aircraft can fly to, land at and take off again from the South Pole: the tiny Twin Otter. Two of these hardy, winter-proof bush planes, operated by Canadian polar service firm Kenn Borek, landed at the British-run Rothera research station on the Antarctic coast Monday, each of them carrying a pilot, a co-pilot, an engineer and a medic.

One plane and its crew remained at Rothera to provide search-and-rescue capability as needed. The second was prepped for a journey and equipped with skis to allow it to land on snow and ice.

We had several Twotters and turbine DC-3s stop through Dallas on their way back to Canada a couple months ago. Hard to miss that bright red!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 184
Suck on that, Bear Grylls. Drinking your own urine is nothing compared to performing your own chemo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the drugs are available, performing for own chemo isn't that difficult. Some drugs are push, some are drips. The hard part is the days after.

Never thought I would see the day when the mighty c130 Hercules would say "unable" and the little twin otter would take its place.
A Twin otter can take off 3 times in a hurc's roll. The only thing truly STOL about a hurc as there's nothing else that can lift that much that slow.

A Twin otter can take off 3 times in a hurc's roll. The only thing truly STOL about a hurc as there's nothing else that can lift that much that slow.

I wonder what the per square inch gross weight impact is with an otter vs a Herk. I was amazed to find out a fully loaded 17 actually puts less weight per contact patch on a runway than a Herc due to all those tires.

I wonder what the per square inch gross weight impact is with an otter vs a Herk. I was amazed to find out a fully loaded 17 actually puts less weight per contact patch on a runway than a Herc due to all those tires.

Welll...a twin otter only weighs like 12,500.

Back