Another regional bites the dust!

Patriot _BOY

A letter from Express Jets president and CEO!!
ExpressJetters,

As you may be aware, United made a strategic decision to retain only one ERJ145 United Express operator for 2021 and beyond. Unfortunately, we have just been told that United intends to go forward with CommutAir as its sole operator of the ERJ145 in 2021.

This is devastating news for all of us. ExpressJet’s capability and flexibility have always been unchallenged. Although we presented a solid business plan, with very attractive costs, to United, unfortunately, we did not make the cut. It is disappointing to all that ExpressJet’s many strengths – including our ability to maintain and fly hundreds of aircraft - were insufficient to secure the win in an era of industry uncertainty and caution.

In the coming days, we will work with United to develop a workplan for the phased wind-down of our operations. The transition will take a number of months, and we’ll be sure to provide updates along the way. That workplan will include the timeline, information relating to specific work groups, and details regarding your pay and benefits. As soon as that information becomes available, we will share it with you.

In the meanwhile, I ask that you continue to display your exemplary professionalism and perform at your regular high level. Please continue to hold your best-in-the-business head high and contribute as we go through this difficult transition. And most importantly, please stay healthy and safe.

I really hate to hear that. Between ASA and ExpressJet, until the last year, I'd worked their flights for a decade. I know lots of good ExpressJet people. I know a lot of good CommutAir people as well. I never cared for the company but there were a lot of good people that worked there. I figured United was going to go the money route. No matter which way they decided though, I hate to see all those people losing jobs. It's a solid company that's been around for a long time.

Really disheartening to know that these companies basically had no plan for the worst. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, that's how I was raised.
I'm sure the top brass at Express Jet will be just fine. The rest are joining us down here in layoff land.

Really disheartening to know that these companies basically had no plan for the worst. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, that's how I was raised.
I'm sure the top brass at Express Jet will be just fine. The rest are joining us down here in layoff land.
All its income comes from the major ... they operate on razor thin margins. Regardless, if the major partner pulls the flying you die. No matter how much money you may have hoarded. That's just the regional business.

"The worst" is that customers stop buying your product. How do you plan for that?
I dunno, somehow Southwest swung not having to furlough anybody in 2020. How do we suppose they managed that?

Meanwhile Republic furloughs people even with CARES funding and United kills ExpressJet. There obviously has to be some kind of difference in how each company runs its operation and manages money, and some are obviously better than others.

SWA had a #SaveDean campaign going on among its pilot group in an effort to save ironically Dean who at the time is I suspect the most jr pilot on property. They even had SWAG for it.

Back