another rediculous [sp] question...

PFGiardino

Why does the Columbia 400 have vertical pieces on the bottom outboard section of the ailerons?

Thanks to anyone who knows.

-Paul

R

Roger, Roger

If I recall correctly, those are the mass balances for the ailerons. I haven't been up close with a Columbia lately, though.

tgrayson

If I recall correctly, those are the mass balances for the ailerons. I haven't been up close with a Columbia lately, though.
I don't see how a mass mounted towards the trailing edge of the aileron would move the CG of the aileron appropriately; it needs to be in front of the hinge line, not behind it. The ones for the Pipers are embedded on a long arm inside the wingtip.

Goonie

Never say die
I believe the act as a anti-servo to to aid in control response.....?

I could be wrong tho..

tgrayson

My guess is that it's similar to the plates on the upper side of the aileron towards the flap on some airplanes, such as a newer 206. These are designed to cause the aileron to float in a direction that improves lateral stability. If the airplane banks to the right, the resulting sideslip hits the plate from the side, creating a pressure differential that moves the aileron down, raising the wing. Seems that a plate in the bottom of the aileron towards the outside could produce a similar effect.

R

Roger, Roger

I see it now, I thought you were talking about something else. Definitely not a mass balance....