Another logging question

Pilotforhire587

Lycra Man
Ok, by this point I know that everyone does things differently when it comes to their log books but I want to get your feelings on this. As an SIC in the dash I only logged Actual IMC and approaches when it was my leg, even though it was a two pilot aircraft I wasn't flying. So here is my question, I would like both opinions and legality issues if you have sources to back them up. As a Captain, how do you log IMC and Approaches? Many people I have talked to say that they started logging all IMC when they upgraded but still only logged the approaches they flew. That makes sense to me because as Captain, you are in command of the aircraft whether or not you are the one flying. I have also spoken to a couple of guys that say they logged to approaches when the SIC was flying too but to me that seems like it pushing it.

DISCUSS AMONGST YOURSELVES

Personally, I log all IMC, night, and instrument approaches no matter who is flying. I only log landings that I perform.

If you log the time in the SIC column, it can stand to reason that you were not PIC during the instrument approach. I don't think anyone has ever asked me how many instrument approaches I have flown. If they did, I would think that since I was a crewmember and an approach had been flown, I had just as much to do with it as the guy in the right seat monitoring the autopilot.

Back