Another Logbook Question

MultiComm

So....I am scrutinizing my logbook trying to get it in shape for future interviews and....

1) Can High Performance Time be logged while with a CFI during the checkout process for the endorsement.
a. My answer: Yes but I don't have any backing on it.

2) Since I am sole manipulator of the controls then I should be able to log this checkout time at PIC at the same time (prior HP endorsement)?
a. My answer: Yes, being that I was SEL & MEL rated at the time

3) What would one do with a few entries that are dual but never signed by the attending CFI...oops.
a. My answer: Log it as dual and hope it is not found (it is only 3 flights)

Yes, there is a LOI that answers that - Herman - 2009. To log PIC you need to be rated in category/class. An endorsement is not a rating. Log it.

Can you get in contact with the CFI to get the signatures?

Yes, there is a LOI that answers that - Herman - 2009. To log PIC you need to be rated in category/class. An endorsement is not a rating. Log it.
...and Herman simply says what an earlier LOI said almost 30 years earlier.

#3 is a problem. If it's not signed, you can't legitimately add it as dual. "Hope it's not found" is definite: if it's found and the FAA thinks you knew it shouldn't have been logged and counted that way and is not real happy about it (the issue is typically going to come up in a situation where the FAA is not happy about something) well, they usual penalty is revocation of all certificates and ratings under 61.59.

Can you get in contact with the CFI to get the signatures?

I don't remember who the CFI was, although there is 2-4 possibilities. It was back in 2009. I could easily scratch it from the electronic book but it is still in the original hard cover book.

Any additional thoughts on question #1? I understand all the PIC stuff (question #2).

So....I am scrutinizing my logbook trying to get it in shape for future interviews and....

1) Can High Performance Time be logged while with a CFI during the checkout process for the endorsement.
a. My answer: Yes but I don't have any backing on it.

Unless a smaller engine was installed with an STC for the duration of the dual given, you log it as HP. And as PIC if you were rated in category/class/type at the time.

2) Since I am sole manipulator of the controls then I should be able to log this checkout time at PIC at the same time (prior HP endorsement)?
a. My answer: Yes, being that I was SEL & MEL rated at the time

Correct.

3) What would one do with a few entries that are dual but never signed by the attending CFI...oops.
a. My answer: Log it as dual and hope it is not found (it is only 3 flights)

I would personally not look that closely at my logbook, and therefore be happy in the fact that I was totally oblivious. Correct answer would be track down that CFI and have them sign it. Crossing out the entry would be knowingly falsifying a logbook, which is at least as bad an offense as counting the time, as far as the logbook police are concerned. Even bigger if you in fact needed that dual time for some certificate/rating that you subsequently got using it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't though.. Giving up flying might be the best course of action at this point.

Giving up flying might be the best course of action at this point.

Well I don't consider this an option...it is only 3 flights and were not contingent on a particular rating or certificate. Maybe I will cross paths with the CFI someday but chances are the logbook will not be in my possession (locked in a fireproof cabinet) since is has been full for over 2 years and all entries transferred to digital/software.

1 & 2 are easy and I would add that you can even log that even if a CFI isn't on board, as long as there was someone appropriately endorsed to act as PIC.

For #3, I also recently removed some dual time I had in my logbook because I never got it endorsed. I'm getting ready for my CFI check ride and 61.51(h)(2) is pretty clear that training (dual) time must be endorsed by the CFI giving. I even had to remove about 8 hours I got in a simulator since I didn't have it endorsed by a CFI IAW 61.51(g)(4). Not a big deal as I don't need it, but just something to keep in mind. I have an electronic logbook which is why I didn't get it endorsed, but also why it wasn't hard to remove the dual without endorsements flights.

Any additional thoughts on question #1? I understand all the PIC stuff (question #2).
Not sure what you are asking since you say you understand the PIC issue.

There's no FAA logging category that requires the logging of HP time. People sometimes track it for personal and insurance purposes, in which case it's usually (and simply) that one has logable flight time in an airplane that happens to be high-performance.

Back