Another how not to land video.

That 757 floated down half the runway. If its windy as hell out Im not aiming for any greasers, Im putting the plane on the ground!

Eh, I believe it. The runway is 9124 ft long and it looked like the 757 landed around 4000-5000 ft down the runway, so it should have enough stopping distance left. Pretty cool, though.

Ahh yes regional FOs and wannabe regional FOs critiquing landings in aircraft they've never flown in conditions they've only read about.
:banghead:

I don't know......seemed like pretty poor technique and lack of judgement, IMO.

Yeah, referring to Trip7's post, it just doesn't make sense to try to grease a landing in those type of conditions. I still think it looked like an interesting way to land.

Ahh yes regional FOs and wannabe regional FOs critiquing landings in aircraft they've never flown in conditions they've only read about.

... yeah, because the crew landed on the last roughly 4000' of runway at the end of which is a very steep slope that leads to the ocean.

I don't think it takes someone with years of 747 experience to realize that wasn't a very safe operation of the aircraft.

They didn't touchdown because they were going fast, even if they put it down on the touch down markers the airplane would have still wanted to fly, not good combo with gusty winds and wing that low to the ground. But yea, that should have been a go around.

Regional FO critique

When I said FOQA event of the week, I was thinking of an event that I saw in the FOQA office of a pretty big airline where a pretty big plane in their fleet did this with two non-flying pilots in the cockpit not saying go-around to the guy flying at the end of a long flight and they ended up needing max brakes and reverse thrust to get the the thing stopped in the last hundred feet of a very long runway and if they didn't make it then there was some stuff that you wouldn't want to plow into at 50 knots just past the end.

One need not fly the B-757 into Madeira a few times to see that this should have been a go-around unless they were running on fumes.

:)

who you calling a wannabe regional FO? if i never fly for a regional i will be happy :)

OK smartypants, coming from someone who's been in the same situations and flies the 757: That was a piss poor display of aircraft control and judgement.

Re: Regional FO critique

When I said FOQA event of the week, I was thinking of an event that I saw in the FOQA office of a pretty big airline where a pretty big plane in their fleet did this with two non-flying pilots in the cockpit not saying go-around to the guy flying at the end of a long flight and they ended up needing max brakes and reverse thrust to get the the thing stopped in the last hundred feet of a very long runway and if they didn't make it then there was some stuff that you wouldn't want to plow into at 50 knots just past the end.

One need not fly the B-757 into Madeira a few times to see that this should have been a go-around unless they were running on fumes.

:)

Punctuation much?

I disagree with you on this one. It is never good technique to float half way down the runway. Go-around, or divert if it is above your skill level.

The Finns can pull it off, apparently.
LPMA is a difficult approach, so I'm told. The landing is much more so when there are gusty winds. I've never personally flown it, though, so I'll go ahead and stay out of that criticism flameground.

No doubt that this was a difficult approach. A descending turn to land with very gusty winds probably makes this approach one of the most difficult in the world. When conducting this approach the judgment of the crew has to be at its best.

As you can see the A320 crew that came in executed a go-around when they came in way high and would have obviously floated halfway down the runway. Floating a 757 past the markers, AND past the touchdown zone doesn't seem like a very good idea to me when that runway ends with a steep slope into the ocean. You don't need to be a veteran 757 captain to know that MikeC....

No doubt that this was a difficult approach. A descending turn to land with very gusty winds probably makes this approach one of the most difficult in the world. When conducting this approach the judgment of the crew has to be at its best.

As you can see the A320 crew that came in executed a go-around when they came in way high and would have obviously floated halfway down the runway. Floating a 757 past the markers, AND past the touchdown zone doesn't seem like a very good idea to me when that runway ends with a step slope into the ocean. You don't need to be a veteran 757 captain to know that MikeC....

I agree with that. Good points there......

Back