Another example of living the dream

jrh

What a crazy week. I guess all my weeks are a bit crazy, but I have to share the stories of this one in particular.

I work with an aircraft broker and last Tuesday I ferried a Cherokee Six from Nebraska to Connecticut. One of my buddies had a few days off work so he came along for the ride. It was nice having company on a long trip.

On Wednesday we had some mechanical issues with the plane during a pre-buy demo flight and weren't able to close the deal, so that afternoon I ended up renting a car and driving down to White Plains, NY to shoot photos of another plane my boss might be brokering. The plane is a Skyhawk owned by a news anchor, so it was kind of cool working with a celebrity of sorts, even if I never watch his show (it's on Fox News and I'm not much of a conservative type).

That night my buddy and I had dinner in New Haven, near Yale's campus, and I wondered what the big deal with Ivy League schools is. Looked like a pretty average place to me. At least I can say I've been to Yale now.

By Thursday the deal with the Cherokee Six had completely fallen apart and I was told to bring the plane back to Nebraska as soon as the mechanic could get it put back together. The problem was, the mechanic needed to order two parts and couldn't get them until Friday morning. With nothing to do, we took a train in to NYC. We spent a few hours at the Met, got some pizza at the first pizzeria in America (Lombardi's in Little Italy), and considered getting sushi in Little China until being grossed out by a couple hog heads on platters at one of the Asian markets.

Friday was spent sleeping in and waiting for the mechanic to put the plane together. We finally blasted off at about 7 p.m. Since I've never flown the Hudson River VFR corridor, we dropped down and took the Hudson south. What a way to see NYC, especially at night! Beats the Empire State Building's view any day.

Then we turned west and landed at Reading, PA for fuel and dinner. I used to live in this area, so we said hello to a few old friends before taking to the skies again.

After a 3 a.m. stop in South Bend, IN for fuel (anyone been to the Atlantic Aviation there? classy place!) we coasted in to Nebraska right at sunrise.

I slept all day, just glad to be home.

Now, as I look back on this trip, I'm reminded that I'm one of the luckiest guys in this industry. So many stories, memories, opportunities, and good times. Not many people can do the things I did on this trip...hung out with friends, saw new sites, flew a sweet plane, and generally had a one of a kind adventure.

Life is good! I had to share.

you flew half-way across the country and no pictures? :)

Honestly, no. I wish I could have!

The first leg on the way out, the only daytime leg, was mostly IMC, so nothing to see. From that point on, it was all flown at night/IMC.

As for the tourist stuff like NYC, I've cumulatively spent several weeks in NYC now, so I still have a good time whenever I visit, but I'm sort of past the point of, "Wow, cool, I need a picture of this!"

We just had a car come in, it just hit five horses, top that. Guess who they picked to clean off all the crap?

We just had a car come in, it just hit five horses, top that. Guess who they picked to clean off all the crap?

Hahahaha....man, I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

You work for an auto body shop or something?

I am still so upset about that trip... especially now that you say you went to NYC... I've never been there... and its like.. in my top places I have to visit.
:banghead::banghead::banghead: stupid professor..

Glad you made it back ok..

I am still so upset about that trip... especially now that you say you went to NYC... I've never been there... and its like.. in my top places I have to visit.
:banghead::banghead::banghead: stupid professor..

Ehh, you've got your whole life ahead of you. NYC isn't going anywhere, you'll see it sooner or later. I never say goodbye to any of my friends when they or I move away, because I know it's only a matter of time before I cross paths with them again. That's the great thing about aviation...the world turns in to a small place and you never know what's coming next.

And remember, the plane never got sold...that means it'll need to get delivered somewhere else sometime in the future. You're at the top of my list if I go on Round 2 with this thing.

Awesome week! And to think I was standing behind a podium being yelled at by retarded airline passengers that whole week more likely than not.

Back