Annual sign off without a registration certificate

AG3FLY

Can an annual inspection be signed off without the owner providing a registration certificate?

That's what the IA at my shop was thinking but they cant seem to find the appropriate Reg. Do you know what reg its in?

Well they are determining the "Airworthiness" of the aircraft. What paperwork is required to be on board for the aircraft to be "Airworthy"

§ 91.203 Civil aircraft: Certifications required.

(a) Except as provided in §91.715, no person may operate a civil aircraft unless it has within it the following:

(2) An effective U.S. registration certificate issued to its owner or, for operation within the United States, the second duplicate copy (pink) of the Aircraft Registration Application as provided for in §47.31(b), or a registration certificate issued under the laws of a foreign country.

So unless you are voided by 91.715 then you are required to have a registration certificate.
Or atleast that is my opinion

Well they are determining the "Airworthiness" of the aircraft. What paperwork is required to be on board for the aircraft to be "Airworthy"
Airworthiness is not required for an annual inspection to be signed off. The IA performs the inspection; he/she doesn't necessarily return it to service.

That is a good point but I don't think anybody goes into an annual looking for an unairworthiness statement.

I'm going to say yes. FAR 43 Appendix D is pretty specific, and I can think of several situations where this would apply. Also returning an aircraft to service is different than operating an aircraft.

Could the I.A. just sign off the annual and make another log entry for the missing registration?? Then any A&P could sign off that item when the registration certificate is obtained and return the a/c to service. A little C.Y.A. for the I.A. and everyone is happy.

Forgive as I have very little G.A. experience, but we do stuff like that all the time at the airlines. Ex: Find something wrong during an A Check. Make a separate logbook entry for that item. Sign off A Check. Fix the item prior to dispatch or hook it if MEL allows.

Could the I.A. just sign off the annual and make another log entry for the missing registration?? Then any A&P could sign off that item when the registration certificate is obtained and return the a/c to service. A little C.Y.A. for the I.A. and everyone is happy.

Yes, that is called signing off an annual "with discrepencies".

Back