Anaktuvuk Pass to Coldfoot Alaska over the Brooks Range

I finally got back to this thread. Just beautiful!!! I can't imagine having views like this on a daily basis. THIS is flying, man. I can see easily see why people go to Alaska and never leave. Very jealous! lol

I have been talking to my wife the last few weeks about partially retiring (well mostly but will still fly a bit for business for a while but more for pleasure and way less than I am now) in a few years. I am going to make a goal of spending a month with her and the dogs up there during the Summer, when I do retire. I have the fantasy now of flying the King up to Seattle to be with friends for a few days and then flying to Alaska from there. (that way we can have the plane to go where we want on little day/overnight trips, take a bunch of our crap, the dogs, fishing equipment, etc.) What city would you recommend as a good base to rent a decent place (a cabin - don't need to be in the city, just near a large one and not into camping) with amenities that would be a good locale for day/two day or more and overnight trips from and we also plan on renting a vehicle for some driving trips. Anchorage? Fairbanks? I would love to fly around Denali as well as see it from the ground. So many National Parks there and so much fishing. What months in the Summer are the best weather wise?? I am working on a list of cities and places I would like to see/experience. Seems like Bethel and Juneau would be good to fly into and stay for a a couple of days each as well.

I finally got back to this thread. Just beautiful!!! I can't imagine having views like this on a daily basis. THIS is flying, man. I can see easily see why people go to Alaska and never leave. Very jealous! lol

I have been talking to my wife the last few weeks about partially retiring (well mostly but will still fly a bit for business for a while but more for pleasure and way less than I am now) in a few years. I am going to make a goal of spending a month with her and the dogs up there during the Summer, when I do retire. I have the fantasy now of flying the King up to Seattle to be with friends for a few days and then flying to Alaska from there. (that way we can have the plane to go where we want on little day/overnight trips, take a bunch of our crap, the dogs, fishing equipment, etc.) What city would you recommend as a good base to rent a decent place (a cabin - don't need to be in the city, just near a large one and not into camping) with amenities that would be a good locale for day/two day or more and overnight trips from and we also plan on renting a vehicle for some driving trips. Anchorage? Fairbanks? I would love to fly around Denali as well as see it from the ground. So many National Parks there and so much fishing. What months in the Summer are the best weather wise?? I am working on a list of cities and places I would like to see/experience. Seems like Bethel and Juneau would be good to fly into and stay for a a couple of days each as well.
The thing to keep in mind is that Alaska is huge....you could easily spend a week each in the Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau areas. Generally May and June are your best months. Juneau area is sort of my expertise so if you ever wanted to start working out details I'd be glad to answer what I can...

Thank you. I have been doing a bit of research on line, bookmarking sites and printing some stuff out. And yeah the distances are huge. lmao Just starting to get that idea some. Maybe my idea of having a base is not the best idea, but instead spending more than a week (like 10 days each) in Fairbanks, Anchorage and Juneau is better and then traveling by car and some day flights around those areas, from each area is. Then we can stay at an inn or something at each locale. Is that a better plan?

I am pretty unfamiliar with the wx there (except what I see on various tv shows, but I have many decades of experience in flying in all kinds of wx- but still, every locale is different and there is the mountain flying to consider). Thanks on the May or June suggestions - really was not sure as to the best months. The area of the airport at Juneau looks really awesome (I mean how distracting can those views get- looked at some aerial shots and they were just breathtaking) and the fishing seems excellent. I plan on mostly fly fishing. But in June there seems to be salt water fishing for Kings and for Halibut, so I would bring some heavier bait casting rods and reels for that.

I think the trip is going to be focused on flying around those three areas, some driving trips from them, fishing and trying to soak up as much of the Native culture (plan on visiting the Heritage Museum in Anchorage for example) and the history as much as possible, relaxing and just enjoying the sites which to me, seem like every location is beyond beautiful. Also seeing what "events" are taking place while we are there. Is Aero the FBO to use out of Juneau?? Looked at their site briefly and they have hangars/fuel etc. I am looking at vacation cabin/home sites for each city (don't really want to do hotels at all) and there seems to be some really great places to rent. We'd like to hang/relax, have amenities, cook as well as eat out some. What are some decent day drives around?

Thank you. I have been doing a bit of research on line, bookmarking sites and printing some stuff out. And yeah the distances are huge. lmao Just starting to get that idea some. Maybe my idea of having a base is not the best idea, but instead spending more than a week (like 10 days each) in Fairbanks, Anchorage and Juneau is better and then traveling by car and some day flights around those areas, from each area is. Then we can stay at an inn or something at each locale. Is that a better plan?

I am pretty unfamiliar with the wx there (except what I see on various tv shows, but I have many decades of experience in flying in all kinds of wx- but still, every locale is different and there is the mountain flying to consider). Thanks on the May or June suggestions - really was not sure as to the best months. The area of the airport at Juneau looks really awesome (I mean how distracting can those views get- looked at some aerial shots and they were just breathtaking) and the fishing seems excellent. I plan on mostly fly fishing. But in June there seems to be salt water fishing for Kings and for Halibut, so I would bring some heavier bait casting rods and reels for that.

I think the trip is going to be focused on flying around those three areas, some driving trips from them, fishing and trying to soak up as much of the Native culture (plan on visiting the Heritage Museum in Anchorage for example) and the history as much as possible, relaxing and just enjoying the sites which to me, seem like every location is beyond beautiful. Also seeing what "events" are taking place while we are there. Is Aero the FBO to use out of Juneau?? Looked at their site briefly and they have hangars/fuel etc. I am looking at vacation cabin/home sites for each city (don't really want to do hotels at all) and there seems to be some really great places to rent. We'd like to hang/relax, have amenities, cook as well as eat out some. What are some decent day drives around?
From Fairbanks, all I can say is that one day trip you must do is a flight that takes you north of the arctic circle. A friend of mine used Bettles. Also you MUST do Denali-my friend went out of Talkeetna but then again the tripod has sort of short legs, in something faster you could easily do that out of FAI.
Around Juneau...
Tons of hiking trails, including two that have spectacular views of the mendenhall glacier, one of which allows access to ice caves at the glacier's foot.
Definitely chase halibut and salmon.
I would highly recommend flying over to Gustavus, spending the night at one of the local inns, and rising early the next day to take the all-day boat tour of glacier bay. You could even do your own flightseeing tour of glacier bay and/or the Juneau ice field.
Another popular day trip is to fly up to Skagway and ride the historic Yukon and White Pass Railroad up into Canada. Don't know if trains are at all your thing but if they are that could be cool.
Since The Road in Juneau is only about 50 miles long, there's not a lot for drives out of here.
As for places to stay around here, there is a bed and breakfast on Auke Lake where my parents stayed when they visited, which they highly recommend. There are also a multitude of US forest service cabins around here. Many of them are only accessible by boat or float plane though there are a few that are hikeable-might be fun to spend a night at one of them.

I really appreciate your suggestions. I just copied the post and saved it to my documents for reference. So much that I still don't know. The rail trip for instance sounds like a lot of fun and something we would really enjoy. Looked at Skagway some on line and man, it reminds me of Norway......it's incredible. And, the tour of glacier bay....seems like a must do...we love being out on boats, any sort of boat, huge, big, medium, tiny. If it floats we'll do it. Thought about renting a canoe and maybe a small motorboat for fishing and cruising around also at various spots, also. Denali is a priority for sure. I have always wanted to see it. Would you recommend it to be a safe trip (having never flown in AK) to fly the trip up to the arctic circle on your own? I haven't even checked out the distance yet. Just realized though, that Coldfoot is up that way.

We are going to Barnes and Noble and get some maps and books/guides soon and start making more notes and getting more ideas. We also decided that the staying for 10 days in each of the three cities, makes the most sense. And if we want to just overnight somewhere else, we can still do that. The Gustavus idea seems like a great one. I looked it up on the net after reading your post and there are some beautiful inns there. Hell, there's a fricking golf course there. Who would have thought? lol

It's really exciting for me looking at some of these places on line that I have been seeing on tv for years and on various videos and connecting the dots and seeing just how wondrous and beautiful they truly are. Don't laugh, but last week I opened a special savings account just for this adventure and dropped the first check into it.

It's really exciting for me looking at some of these places on line that I have been seeing on tv for years and on various videos and connecting the dots and seeing just how wondrous and beautiful they truly are. Don't laugh, but last week I opened a special savings account just for this adventure and dropped the first check into it.
I won't laugh man! A lot of people up here think its "cool" to hate on tourists and cop an attitude with them. While there are a lot of them that are, well, just like the stereotypical tourist (loud, uneducated, underdressed, etc) I also run into a lot of people kind of like you...they've seen Alaska only in TV shows and have had a dream of seeing it for real and I enjoy sharing the beauty of this place with them. So ask away, and hopefully the stars align for you to make that trip sometime in the next couple of years.

Thanks. This trip is going to happen, believe me. I have always wanted to see Alaska, fish there, see and experience the wild life in person, the native culture and so much more. It's so pristine and so incredibly beautiful and is the last expanse of frontier and open expanse of beauty and vastness left in this country. It's one of the few places left on the entire planet where the pioneer spirit is still alive and well. That in itself, makes Alaska special to me. It also has everything. I suppose what makes it also so alluring is just the sheer magnificence of it and that so few people live there and industry has not been allowed to ruin it. Conservation, hunting and fishing laws and the effort to keep the state's dazzling essence unspoiled as much as possible seems like very serious business there. This is why it is still so beautiful. Too bad we haven't done that as well in the lower 48. Still some decent areas left in Montana, Wyoming and a few other areas, but nothing, nothing offers what Alaska has in the way of topography and the vastness and diversity of nature. Nothing compares.

I have traveled all over the world and yet I have been talking about Alaska for decades it seems. So I am planning on one month to have my first excursion there. I am organizing now bit by bit, starting to make lists of what I need to do/learn about, what we want to see etc., because I want to understand the areas more, plan it out piece by piece, be prepared, know exactly what to bring (especially in clothing and how I may need to prep the plane and so on), down to what kind of flies to tie for fishing. So that's why I am starting the planning now. Plus it's a new goal and something to look forward to that I have wanted to do for many years.

My dream right now is to wake up, walk outside and have the view and just breathe it in. I am especially interested in the wildlife too. My wife and I have been talking about this almost daily for three weeks now. I know what you mean about "tourists". Makes me cringe, have seen them everywhere I have traveled to. I avoid them as much as possible. My idea of travel has always been to experience what the locals experience as much as possible, especially the food. I have eaten my way around the world, shopped where the locals shop, ate what and where they ate, participated as much as possible in their activities, etc. I prefer to hang with the locals and off the beaten path as much as possible. It's the best way to experience the culture for me and the country's history. And you can't do any of that going to just the tourist areas, hanging with tourists and acting like one. I have respect for all cultures and areas and I find that serves me well. I and neither have my wife and I when we have traveled together anywhere, ever been on a tour group of anything. We make our own schedules and itinerary and just go alone, explore meet people, talk to them, hang with them and enjoy the experience. We try to go on as many little different types of excursions as possible, by bike, foot, boat, plane, carriage, horseback, car, by any means available and see what is there. Some of the best times, come from all sorts of little unexpected side trips and who you meet and what you learn along the way. This trip is going to be the beginning of another chapter of my life and of our life together as I won't be working the hours and days like I currently am and it's going to be a celebration of that. Who knows, I may fall so in love with Alaska that it hopefully won't be our last trip there either.

Do you know btw, where totems are still carved by the natives? That is something I would love to see and learn more about. I think I read that there is a carving shed in Ketchican at some sort of park there or something.

This whole deal is just too exciting with all the possibilities of what we can do, see, and experience up there, that now when I get stressed out at work, I just remind myself there is an end and a little shining star (this trip) waiting for us.

This whole deal is just too exciting with all the possibilities of what we can do, see, and experience up there, that now when I get stressed out at work, I just remind myself there is an end and a little shining star (this trip) waiting for us.

Gerry, with all the things you've done in your career, and even with the multitude of destinations you've been to the world over, as well as the stresses of airline and corporate life over the decades; you deserve to take a good vacation for you and the Mrs. Go on a vacation where you truly have nowhere you have to be, nothing you have to do, and everything on your own timeframe. You sir, have more than earned it.

Thanks, Mike. That was very kind of you. I am really excited about this adventure. Hopefully it will take my mind off the thought of the semi, really mostly retiring, thing which I keep grousing about wanting to do and yet cannot bring myself to do, just yet. But in a few short years, the time will come. I know that and have to accept it at some point. It's been on my mind a bit. Then I keep thinking about all the other things in aviation that I could still do on the side and instead of, like restoring war birds, consulting, instructing, flying for fun for a change, etc., and I guess there will never be any full retirement unless I fall apart worse than I already am. lmao I just have to get to the point of transitioning and being okay with what lies ahead. But at least I am finally seriously looking at this. (big breath)

Awhile since I've been on this thread. Left Alaska for the season, currently hanging out in South Africa. Am planning on coming back Dec for our winter season which will be the first winter I've had in about 5 years so not really looking forward to it. Things to do at least in the Fairbanks area. I would definitively do a Denali flight. Have a couple days that are open because you want to go when the weather is beautiful. Some of my best flights this summer has been around Denali. I have a long video of a good day that I need to edit. I go over the bus from "Into the Wild" Also great flights to do it a Coldfoot to Anaktuvuk Pass. It's just a gorgeous flight. Also driving the Dalton Highway is pretty cool. Something I'm planning on doing next season if I'm still around. Go during the summer when there's daylight. Keep checking out my youtube page. Now that I'm off, I have more time for editing. Still need to put up a Barter Island video(village with over 100 polar bears) and some Denali stuff. Just beautiful scenery.

=Jason-

Hi Jason is there ANY gas at AXP or CXF? A place to take a nap? Tiedowns maybe? What time of the year the first video was taken?

Hi Jason is there ANY gas at AXP or CXF? A place to take a nap? Tiedowns maybe? What time of the year the first video was taken?

CXF has fuel and a cafe down the road with a hotel, I'm not sure at AKP since it's so close to coldfoot it's never been an issue. I'm pretty I recorded that around late July/beginning of Aug.

=Jason-

CXF has fuel and a cafe down the road with a hotel, I'm not sure at AKP since it's so close to coldfoot it's never been an issue. I'm pretty I recorded that around late July/beginning of Aug.

=Jason-
Thanks.

Back