ANA airlines, 767, 737, Dash-8-FOs/Capt

First Officers: Total Flight Time in excess of 3,000 hours
Commercial Jet Time in excess of 1, 000 hours
Valid ICAO State ATPL
ICAO Level 4 English
Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating on the ATPL
Valid ICAO State Class 1 Medical Certificate

This summary has been created for your information only and is not a contract.

Airline
Air Japan (ANA Group)

Equipment
B-767 300ER (4)

Base
Narita, Japan

Term
5 year contract including training. Training period: 6-8 months in Tokyo.

Block Hours
70 hours per month.

Salary Package
First Officer (USD)

Base Salary
Commuting Allowance**
Accomodation Allowance
Gross Compensation
Per Diem*
Total Package/month
Trainee
$6,712.72
N/A
N/A
$6,712.72
$44/nt
$6,712.72
1st Year
$6,712.72
$2,000
$500
$9,212.72
$884
$10,096.72
2nd Year
$7,788.72
$2,000
$500
$10,288.72
$884
$11,172.72
3rd Year
$8,074.72
$2,000
$500
$10,574.72
$884
$11,458.72
4th Year
$8,241.72
$2,000
$500
$10,741.72
$884
$11,625.72
5th Year
$8,435.72
$2,000
$500
$10,935.72
$884
$11,819.72​

What do these requirements mean?

"
Valid ICAO State ATPL
ICAO Level 4 English
Valid ICAO State Class 1 Medical Certificate"

What are the eyesight limitations on the ICAO class 1 medical? Anyone? I have pretty bad uncorrected vision. I otherwise meet all the other requirements. Although a 5 year contract? Hmmm....that seems a bit long.

Speaking form experience I know Japan is a great place to live. I know 5 year contract is long but the way things look here domestically I think 5 years sounds just about right to come home!!

Japan has had a pretty long economic recession too, 10 years or more. Housing fell 50%, 60%, up to 80%, and I think they are still in a bit of a slump. It was so bad the government basically printed free money, loaning it out at almost 0%. In fact their past financial history closely mimics the current US market...

From talking with guys here that have done the Japanese carrier deal, just a couple deals

the JCAB conversion is VERY tough. Not so much like domestic. I'm talking about experienced long haul guys.

The JCAB medial is an all day ordeal.

Not saying any of it's impossible, or not worth it, just difficult.

NCA

I flew with a captain who met a Nippon Cargo Airlines pilot during our trip. He got his e-mail and phone number and by the time I flew with my captain again a few weeks later he'd gotten quite a bit of information from the guy.

NCA is considered a different company from ANA. However, if the training at ANA is like it is at NCA, be prepared for a long time. From the start of training to finish is nine (9) months. Between classes and sim sessions and the usual, there is a decent amount of down time. The new hires are paid the normal rate during this time, however, and that is not a bad pay rate. Additionally, if there is a known gap in training that is long enough I think he said they would positive space the pilot back home.

The guy he talked to lived in IND and commuted to the JFK base. NCA pilots can be based in the USA; I believe they also have LAX or SFO, or perhaps both. The receive a commuting allowance to get from their home airport and according to this guy, it usually covered the cost of IND-JFK in full. There is generally only one trip per month for the cargo side, varying in length from 9 to 12 days if I remember correctly.

My captain had upgraded a few months prior when I flew with him back in February so he probably had about 300-500 hours of PIC in the RJ at the time, and about 3000-4000 total. The Indy NCA pilot told him that might be enough to get an interview, so anyone in the regionals now with those kinds of times would not be wasting their time if they apply.

Japan has had a pretty long economic recession too, 10 years or more. Housing fell 50%, 60%, up to 80%, and I think they are still in a bit of a slump. It was so bad the government basically printed free money, loaning it out at almost 0%. In fact their past financial history closely mimics the current US market...
But, unlike the US airlines, they are hiring, and paying decent money. Some even have commutable schedules (not sure about this particular job)...not saying I'd want to commute back and forth to/from Asia, but depending on the schedule and money, it may be worth it for some. And, if they are in a recession still and housing is cheap, it may be well worth it.

Just my $0.000002:D

P.S. - Upgrade Time at NCA

One more thing about the cargo operation, the seniority list is separate from ANA. Nippon Cargo is planning to almost, but not quite, double in size in the next five years. That means anyone hired today would likely be able to hold the left seat in a few years.

What do these requirements mean?

"
Valid ICAO State ATPL
ICAO Level 4 English
Valid ICAO State Class 1 Medical Certificate"

The USA (FAA) is an ICAO member

FAA ATP
ENGLISH PROFICIENT ON YOUR LICENSE
ATP LICENSE WITH A JET TYPE RATING ON IT
FAA 1ST CLASS MEDICAL

Are you saying this because you don't meet mins yet, or was there some other reason for that?

No, I said it in relation to my comment that Domestic 121 is only a stepping stone for me. . .

Right now, considering the long term impact of 150-200/oil (if it really is a long term deal) domestic 121 passenger flying will not satisfy my goals.

As such, tough titties that it is the way it is and I have no intent to stick it out on US Soil as a pilot come 10-15 years. If I even make it that far.

I've have heard they won't, but on the other hand I just found out last week that Emirates does, so I'm not going to say ANA won't with certainly. A former captain from here married a girl from Thailand and took the ANA contract. He said the training was very tough (8 or 9 months worth) but fair and the pay is excellent. He's on the 767 and last I heard is loving it. Also, the contract he is on DOES provide the opportunity for upgrade.

Back