ANA airlines, 767, 737, Dash-8-FOs/Capt

I visited ANA on my trip to Tokyo this Spring. The airline regards their pilots very highly, and although the history is to not hire women, the airline is changing as women take a more prominent role in the World. I don't think they ever intentionally not hired someone because they were female, but more because their experience was less. So don't let yourself not apply just because you're a female.

Also, the COO mentioned that English, was still a very foreign language to them. They do speak english, but it's a bit broken. I work with Tokai students and while they can converse, some words just escape them. I would highly recommend learning japanese. You don't need it, but it will make your time there a lot easier. ANA also is running a program to increase english fluency with their aircrews, but when you've never heard of the alphabet or syllables, it gets a bit harder.

I know a couple of NCA guys and their pay is very good. They work a lot though. Things are changing there as ANA has decided to bring this in house. This position used to be done by HACS and a few others.

As a native English speaker you will probably get a Level 5 proficiency which never needs renewal. ICAO has decided that the level of English out there is not very good and has mandated that everyone clean up their act. Level four is good for 5 years or so before you would be retested.

From all reports, they treat their people well. One of those deals that is hard to get but worth the effort. Unlike here at home now, where it is hard to get and then a big letdown as you make less than a fry cook.

I've have heard they won't, but on the other hand I just found out last week that Emirates does, so I'm not going to say ANA won't with certainly. A former captain from here married a girl from Thailand and took the ANA contract. He said the training was very tough (8 or 9 months worth) but fair and the pay is excellent. He's on the 767 and last I heard is loving it. Also, the contract he is on DOES provide the opportunity for upgrade.

He was sharp too, hearing that coming from him means it's VERY tough.

Back