american winds flight academy?

TXaviator

anyone know any info on this outfit in the Cleveland/Akron Ohio area?

they had a posting on "oneofthosejobsites" with a 'free CFI/II' scheme for us lowly fresh commercial pilots...

anyone know how it works?

i contacted them as well to see what they say...

anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of that area of the world? i know basically nothing about cleveland/area... hows housing costs/living/quality of living?

thanks oh ye wise men!

I saw that as well. I've heard nothing but negative things from there and was advised by many pilots to stay away. Overall a shady place I believe. That ad has been up for a year now and makes you wonder why no one else has taken advantage of it. I know that if you do it they expect you to CFI for them for a year. As far as hosuing goes, you can find some places for a decent price. Akron in general is not the best city to live in, but there are some good areas. Particularly around the University of Akron campus. You can find apartments for a good price. I go to school just north of Akron in Kent, so if you have any more questions gimmie a PM and I'll see what I can do.

I spoke with American Winds a few weeks back while I was searching for schools to earn my instructor licenses at. At the moment they are not offering anything resembling a discount for instructors. Shoot me a PM and if your questions match the questions I asked them, I'll be happy to share what I learned. :)

Yeah, on climbto350.com they don't advertise the free CFI training anymore. Now they're offering free MEL time building.

Lots of interesting stuff going on there, if you want guidence on AWFA shoot me a PM as well.

If you have your CFI also shoot me a PM for that if you are looking to teach in the Cleveland/Akron area.

Yeah, on climbto350.com they don't advertise the free CFI training anymore. Now they're offering free MEL time building.

the ad i saw yesterday clearly made the "free cfi" offer.

if you guys know the inside scoop on this place, just post it up here...would love to know whats up

seems "too good to be true" sort of....

I interviewed there. Then laughed for 10 minutes when they gave me the pay offer. It came with the "be here 6 days a week......oh and you're an independent contractor, not employee" benefit too. Yeah, no thanks.

-mini

I interviewed there. Then laughed for 10 minutes when they gave me the pay offer. It came with the "be here 6 days a week......oh and you're an independent contractor, not employee" benefit too. Yeah, no thanks.

-mini

yuck. that right there is enough to be a dealbreaker for me.

why is it so hard to find places that run a business properly?

yuck. that right there is enough to be a dealbreaker for me.

why is it so hard to find places that run a business properly?

You don't even know the half.... Look, just stay away, and tell any other JC'er to stay away. Had I listened to a fellow member my life would have been a lot easier.

+1 for running away. Even being on/near the field can be exciting at times.
Very much too good to be true. Plus-winter in Ohio is very tough without FIKI if flying is your primary mode of income. Great airport, though, with a ton of history (Goodyear, former Corsair factory, etc)
Since they sue everyone, dead or alive, we can't be overly specific in a public forum.

Suffice to say-JCers are morally obligated to steer other JCers away, and if you should go there, you owe us free beer for life. (cough, cough, I'm thirsty.....)

Back