American Medflight Air Ambulance Question?

Skyking1966

I am concerned that on Day 1 (when I hand American Medflight/Reno Flying Service $5500) that they are just in the business of flying you (new hire pilot) for the promised 10 hours and then sending you home out the $5500. I don't mind if the contract is just to protect them from pilots leaving short of the 12 month contract. What's to stop a company such as this from being in the business (U.S.A. economy sucks) right now of cycling thru say 4 pilots a week OR 16 pilots a month at $5500 a crack....hummmm that's good revenue! I am definitely not of the 'legal' writing verbage type person so I apologize is my wording doesn't clearly communicate my concern.

Signed,
Concerned

PS I am borrowing the money from someone who would be devastated if I come home after a week (see above).

Wait, they make you pay to get hired? Am I reading this right? PFT/PFJ at it's finest, from the sound of it. I would try to stay away from those companies, if at all possible...

Good luck!

No way!

Lots of air ambulance companies are hiring right now.

Run, don't walk, away from any company that pulls this kind of BS. Not acceptable.

There is enough jobs out there that do not need you to pay to work. That place has a lot of turnover, think about why before handing over the money.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I for the life of me can't put a finger on why they have a high turnover rate. Long days on hot standby followed by 14 consecutive days in a small town? No one passes training? Cheyenne time is not good? Equipment shabby? Reno sucks? Please take the guessing game out of it for me?
Gracias,
Mahalo,
Thank you!

Blue sky's gents!

If you have these hours, you don't need to pay.

CHEYENNE PILOT IN COMMAND
Reno Flying Service and our sister company, American Medflight, a Nevada fixed wing air ambulance company with bases in Reno and Ely, are both recruiting for Pilots to fly the Piper Cheyenne PA31T. Our natural habitat is flying in mountainous terrain and strong crosswinds and turbulence to rural airports saving lives, thanks to our outstanding medical crews. We offer a competitive wage, medical, dental, 401K, and are an employee-owned company. Our success becomes your success. Can you handle it?? If you are a strong stick and rudder pilot, then we want to hear from you. Remember, you MUST have strong single pilot IFR skills. If you cannot safely operate in a non-radar, mountainous area, this job is not for you.
Insurance minimums are: 2500 PIC, 1000 AMEL, 250 Turboprop Recent PA31T simulator training and flight experience (50 hours in the last 90 days), and/or equivalent (C90B) single pilot experience preferred.

In order to get our interest, we require safety minded pilots with an ATP rating, 4000 PIC, 1000 TProp, 100 hrs PA31T and 1000AMEL. Part 135 and EMS experience highly desirable. We love America and vets are strongly encouraged to apply. Please fax your resume to (775) 856-5801 attn: HR or email us your resume at JBurruel@renoflyingservice.com
American Medflight is an EOE, we're drug free and lovin it.

12 month training agreement requires up front payment of $5,500 which is reimbursed monthly over the course of the 12 months.

Fax resume’ with cover letter to 775-856-5801 or email to: JBurruel@renoflyingservice.com
emails are checked every few weeks unless we are actively recruiting, so please include your availability.

I am new to this forum and trying to restart my flying career so you have to take my advice with a grain of salt.
I interpreted American Medflight’s requirement like this; if you have 2500 PIC etc then you don’t have to pay but, if you are under these minimums they take you on for $5500 (some type of SIC program). If you decide to accept the program, you would need to speak to the one in charge and get your concerns answered in writing because I would have the same concern as you. The outlay of $5500 could give you a good head start if the airframes you would be flying are valuable in your pursuit of a better paying job.
They are paying you a salary correct, if so, how many months do you have to work to make up the $ 5500?
Deadstick;
All of the air ambulances that I can find require at least 2500TT and turbine/jet experience PIC position. Is there any company that hires with less than that? Is there King Air SIC jobs out there if you have ATP and 750 MEL but no turbine experience?

Skyking 1966; If you are borrowing the money, I would be very careful with a deal like you described.
Best of luck.

Deadstick;
All of the air ambulances that I can find require at least 2500TT and turbine/jet experience PIC position. Is there any company that hires with less than that? Is there King Air SIC jobs out there if you have ATP and 750 MEL but no turbine experience?

This is what I was looking at. I don't see a waiver for the $5500.

In order to get our interest, we require safety minded pilots with an ATP rating, 4000 PIC, 1000 TProp, 100 hrs PA31T and 1000AMEL.

You are correct deadstick there is no waiver for the $5500 (my mistake). I would consider it if the salary was good and the equipment was a King Air or jet.

Skyking, I think you answered your concerns yourself in your second post, because all of the concerns you have are valid and it seems like a good move to look for something else (no one passes training and shabby equipment…. stay away).

I am new to this forum and trying to restart my flying career so you have to take my advice with a grain of salt.
I interpreted American Medflight’s requirement like this; if you have 2500 PIC etc then you don’t have to pay but, if you are under these minimums they take you on for $5500 (some type of SIC program). If you decide to accept the program, you would need to speak to the one in charge and get your concerns answered in writing because I would have the same concern as you. The outlay of $5500 could give you a good head start if the airframes you would be flying are valuable in your pursuit of a better paying job.
They are paying you a salary correct, if so, how many months do you have to work to make up the $ 5500?
Deadstick;

Skyking 1966; If you are borrowing the money, I would be very careful with a deal like you described.
Best of luck.

Regarding the bolded parts. A lot of guys go into air ambulance via freight. Have you considered that? If that is what you have for multi and you have 1200 or more total time. Ameriflight would probably put you in a beech 99 or a metro/1900 with those times. They require a 1 year commitment though.

Thanks UAL747400.
The B-99 would be perfect. Ameriflight is on a short list of companies I am planning of applying too. My ultimate goal is to fly jet part 90/90k or 135. I unfortunately have no part 135 experiences in the last 14 years because running my company took more time than I expected. I thought I could run the company and on the side keep up my flying, boy was I wrong. When I flew (cargo) part 135 it was in a PA-31 Navajo and I really enjoyed it.
A 1 year commitment doesn’t bother me, what I am looking for is a company that I can stay with for some time, that has turboprop/jet equipment like Ameriflight, AirNet, MAC, Empire or alike.

I currently only fly C-172 to stay IFR current so would that even get me an interview with any of these companies?

The reason they can't keep pilots is because they work them to death. 2 on 2 off? Lol. Doesn't exist last I checked. What you hear in the interview is not what you get when start working.

Stay away! Run!!!! Never ever ever ever pay for a job. That is exactly what you are doing here. This company needs put out of business. We had a thread here before on them with a current(former?) pilot of theirs. He said that you have to pay that 5500 yearly to keep the job and it's regardless of your experience.

Thanks UAL747400.
The B-99 would be perfect. Ameriflight is on a short list of companies I am planning of applying too. My ultimate goal is to fly jet part 90/90k or 135. I unfortunately have no part 135 experiences in the last 14 years because running my company took more time than I expected. I thought I could run the company and on the side keep up my flying, boy was I wrong. When I flew (cargo) part 135 it was in a PA-31 Navajo and I really enjoyed it.
A 1 year commitment doesn’t bother me, what I am looking for is a company that I can stay with for some time, that has turboprop/jet equipment like Ameriflight, AirNet, MAC, Empire or alike.

I currently only fly C-172 to stay IFR current so would that even get me an interview with any of these companies?

AMF is not a company to stay at for some time. Used it to get Total Time, or Turbine time that you need for a real job.

Back