American Airlines launches in-flight broadband service

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
From the SLC CPO Daily Bulletin:

American Airlines launches in-flight broadband service: American Airlines' new in-flight broadband service goes live starting today. For $12.95, passengers on AA flights using its Boeing 767-200 will be able to surf the Net, check e-mail, instant message and access corporate VPN accounts using the system by Aircell LLC. Rival Delta Air Lines Inc. announced earlier this month that it will install the system on its fleet of 133 MD-88/90 aircraft this fall and plans to offer it across its 330 mainline domestic fleet by mid-2009.

I'm thinking a 5 hour transcon JFK to PHX, I'd probably spring for that.

Anything over an hour on a plane without something electronic to tinker with, I go a little nuts.

I'm thinking a 5 hour transcon JFK to PHX, I'd probably spring for that.

Anything over an hour on a plane without something electronic to tinker with, I go a little nuts.

I'm right there with you....I'd like to see it on international stuff too though. That's when I really start to go crazy.

That would be cool. I've run out of this month's allotment of "The Ali G Show", "Curb Your Enthusiasm", have seen all of the movies, man, I can't wait for the re-load to come.

That would be cool. I've run out of this month's allotment of "The Ali G Show", "Curb Your Enthusiasm", have seen all of the movies, man, I can't wait for the re-load to come.

No kidding, that's why I've started jumpseating out to AMS on other airlines. I guess that's not really an option for your crew rest time though, eh?

Nah, Compaq.

Going on about 4 years of ownership. It's been a great laptop til it decides to constantly run it's fan trying to cool itself.

It's probably my fault though, use to leave the thing on 24/7 for about 3.5 years. Then finally started to just turn it off when not in use. Now I barely use it unless I'm on the road.

Upgrading the monitor on the desktop helped out a lot though - 24 inchs of flatscreen, wall mounted goodness. ;)

Ya'll bring a spare battery? 4 hours is probably MAX i could get out of a lappy tappy.

I can usually get 4 1/2 to 5 sometimes.

The 767's, 757's and 737's have in seat, three-prong power jacks so it's not a problem. The 757ER's even have in-seat USB so you don't have to burn down your iPod battery.

I get 2 hours MAX, probably down to 1hr now. Doesn't help when the laptop is more powerful than most desktops :)

Back