American Airlines 757 Flexiseats

JOEFRIDAY2

Does anyone find it strange that only the seats on AA 757's come loose during flight? Is it possible that the seat tracks on AA's 757's are made by the same company that makes the seat tracks for the 172?:)

USAir has a bunch of 757's and I've never heard of their seats coming loose even though I've seen coffee and soft drinks spilled on those aircraft.

Delta and United have 757's and I've never heard of those seats coming loose.

I've just got the sneaky suspicion that AA might have changed some maintenance procedures (or providers) and those seats were installed back in the plane incorrectly during the last check.

Anyone know anything?

Joe

They said the offer day they they were installed incorrectly, and it was at multiple maintenance facilities. That, to me, looks like a procedure issue.

I haven't heard of seats coming loose like that in a long time. Weird coincidence.

My bet is that the investigation will determine it's more connected to the bankruptcy and dispute with the union(s) than a design issue. Multiple facilities with the same issue that never surfaced before? As they say on ESPN.....C'mon man!

I dont think it was intentional. They arent going to potentially comprimise safety for whatever labor disputes are going on. Thats just my opinion though.

My bet is that the investigation will determine it's more connected to the bankruptcy and dispute with the union(s) than a design issue. Multiple facilities with the same issue that never surfaced before? As they say on ESPN.....C'mon man!

A bunch of the seats they've found problems with weren't even installed in AA union shops but rather in third party MX facilities. I doubt it's a union issue. I read something to day that said they think it might be an issue with the seat fasteners and soda and cookie crumbs getting inside the seat tracks and loosening them. Seems kind of suspicious though considering they said the seat assemblies had been in there 20 years, they were mostly just re attached during heavy MX work and NOW are coming loose.

As an aside, US Airways uses the same seats in their 757s, but different fasteners. United, CAL and Delta use different seats.

If nothing else, it's great fodder for the AA MX Union for outsourcing work.

Of all the things "those awful union people" do (sarcasm) I do not for a minute believe that the AA pilots or mechanics would loosen bolts that hold seats in place.

Obviously there's a mtx issue here, and AA needs to figure out what's going on, but there's no way I think this is some sort of sabotage from the pilots or mechanics unions.

JOEFRIDAY2 said:
I would find it very hard to believe that this was done on purpose by anyone.

Joe

I agree but wonder if it was being fixed without the fuss to keep flights going and now they are writing it up. How long has this really been a problem??

If it's true that it was done by outsourced Mx, it would make sense for it to get written up in even higher numbers than it may have simply because of what's going on

You'd think spilled drink gunk and sticky crumbs would hold it together better, not lubricate towards failure.:confused:

They have been spilling drink and sticky crumbs in these aircraft for decades. It hasn't caused this problem before. I'm not buying the spilled drink and sticky crumbs PR spin.

Joe

Like everyone else said, I don't think any employee would compromise the safety of the flying public to get a point across, no matter how disgruntled.

Back