Am I too old?

A 60 year old lady while graduating from law school was asked: "Why would you ever start law school in your fifties?" Her response was: "I was going to be 60 years old either way, and I was either going to be a 60 year old lawyer or a 60 year old lady wishing she was."

You only get to live life and pursue dreams once. The question should be "why wouldn't I?"

I like that attitude. I went to law school with 50-something people 35 years ago. They enjoyed a nice law career. Now I, as a "mature" lawyer with 4,000 hrs in general aviation (1,700 dual-given), am pursuing an airline career....something all but impossible just a few years ago. Ground school was a rush. Sims start next week. Never give up on a dream.

Like the other guys are saying, you're definitely not too old. There are a few people in my class hovering at around your age or older.

Sounds like you have your financial house in order (literally) but aside from the flight training, be sure to plan for the years of reduced income as an FO and the years of decreased contributions to your eventual retirement. If you can live with that, and that likelihood that you won't see your kids as much as you like, you are not too old.

With a little luck, if you start now, junior Captain of a narrowbody at a major or LCC is not out of the question, especially with today's hiring rates and the ever-present rumors of increasing the mandatory hiring age. Or if the kids are really important to you now, you could wait a few years, but then you'd be looking at a Regional Captain/Legacy FO or Corporate/135 career.

PPL (and mabye instrument) at a local FBO is definitely a good first step. If that works out an accelerated training program (that gets you the remaining ratings you need within, say, 90-180 days) would probably be a good next step.

I was a career changer and started at my first 121 job in my late 30's. I was light time getting it with 2,400 hours (networks work!). Those hours were built up slowly over nearly 10 years after my first lesson hooked me. Frankly I never thought I'd be retiring in a couple of years as an Airbus captain at a major. Follow your dream!

Go for it now!

Your timing, some of which is forced upon you, is better than you think. I was 41 when hired at my first 121 carrier as a pilot. Prior to that, I was a flight attendant at a major airline but hated my job plus being on the wrong side of the door.

I also went through a divorce (no children and that was part of the problem!), relocated and started picking up the pieces. Now, at my third carrier (another story!), I'm a captain again and waiting for retirement which is about six years from now.

There are those who will tell you it can't be done. Some of them are former pilots who stopped pursuing their goals. Fine, they won't be among your competitors for that first airline job.

I also married again and have two daughters. My wife has been very supportive of the career change and stuck with me through the Delta shutdown of Comair and two years at a carrier which wasn't a good fit.

You are headed for a career change and, I suspect, an improvement in your personal life as well. Good luck!

How about 57 years old? I am hoping to retire early from my current job and do what ever I can to fly for as long as I can. I have 775 hrs Commercial SEL/MEL. Recently got my CFI and working a little P/T. I don't really have dreams of being Captain for a regional. I just hope I have to possibility to be a professional pilot of some type.

How about 57 years old? I am hoping to retire early from my current job and do what ever I can to fly for as long as I can. I have 775 hrs Commercial SEL/MEL. Recently got my CFI and working a little P/T. I don't really have dreams of being Captain for a regional. I just hope I have to possibility to be a professional pilot of some type.

I was 57 with a few more hours (3,970) when I got hired. It's certainly possible. And it's a ball!

With accelerated time building and the right choice of regional carrier, yes, even Captain of a regional is attainable at that age. As long as you don't mind flying with a 25-30 year old Captain in the interim...

My previous carrier actually hired a 64 year old. Though that was probably not supposed to have happened...

Back