Am I doing something wrong?

presstabquick

Hope everyone is doing good! I'd like gather yalls opinions. I currently am confused and honestly discouraged. I've spent years working towards just getting into a regional airline dispatch department. Everything I've done has been apart of the plan to be over qualified for that job to make it easy to get into. I posted a while back about the GoJet opening and haven't heard back from them, have been denied by skywest and endeavor without even having a phone screening or interview of any kind. Told to wait by republic and am currently waiting to hear back from another regional. I thought, I'd have a slight advantage due to my background. It dosent seem that way. I'm willing to accept there are more qualified people, but this seems strange. I'm also aware of the state of industry. Thoughts anybody?

Just keep at it, keep the knowledge fresh so you're ready for an interview. You'll get there, you just have to keep trying. You're going to be told no more than you're told yes, but you only need to be told yes once.

Good luck
I appreciate the reply, gotta keep my head up and stay focused!

Just keep at it, keep the knowledge fresh so you're ready for an interview. You'll get there, you just have to keep trying. You're going to be told no more than you're told yes, but you only need to be told yes once.

Good luck
I second this. I got easily discouraged after being told no a couple of times. One just has to accept that it's not their time yet, but it will come. You don't know what will happen unless you try.

The first job dispatching is often the hardest one to get. As others here have said, you just have to be persistent. Being willing to move is also good. Hang in there and keep checking who's hiring! Also might help to have a pro go over your resume to make sure it is showing your strengths.

Big tip is that you of course should stay fresh on your interview material, but also make sure you’re being personable when speaking to these panels. They want to know that you’re going to be someone that fits in with them at least to some extent and will be a pleasure and not a pain to train. You’re never going to get 100% of the interview questions and they know that and will push you to your limit. Just make up any ground lost during the interview with being an awesome person to talk to. These are entry level positions anyways.

I tried for a year and a half to break into this profession for the first time. I interviewed with Endeavor five separate times before I finally got the offer letter from them. That doesn't include the countless other interviews I did as well.

Believe me I know it can be discouraging but it takes time and practice. You’ll get there. If you had any classmates that have moved on to their first DX job maybe reach out and pick their brain a bit as well.

As others suggested maybe have a pro review your resume and maybe review those pesky HR questions we all dread.

the current hiring horizon isn’t as great as it was the last few years:

-my first dispatch job years ago took a long time
(For a while i wasn’t applying because I thought i didn’t go to the top three schools, but it takes one “yes”)
-I would literally apply everywhere including part135 or even ground ops or in the state of Alaska
-imagine there is approximately 35 plus schools per month and there cranking all these new qualified dispatchers , with not that much openings
-i would try to get tour of a SOCC, maybe fix your resume, contact your classmate that already made it, lol maybe go to Oshkosh and go to a recruiter and send your resume (I heard stories of ppl go to a recruiter for pilots , slip there resume and they got a call back)

Plus keep fresh and study your stuff (your going to get pick up eventually, like people say your first job is really the hardest)

Last edited:
Not sure if they have anything posted currently, but ABX and ATI both have hired people with no experience. They both pay better than a regional and there's no reason you can't move on from there.
Do people who work there live local or do they tend to drive from CVG area? Their operation seems to be in the middle of nowhere Ohio so i didnt know if people move there or drive 45-1hr from CVG area

Do people who work there live local or do they tend to drive from CVG area? Their operation seems to be in the middle of nowhere Ohio so i didnt know if people move there or drive 45-1hr from CVG area
The funny thing is you could live in Cincinnati and have a 45 min commute to Atlas (who usually doesn't hire no xp dispatchers) or you could live in Cincinnati and have a 45 min commute to ILN. The hang-up about ILN being in the middle of no-where seems silly. It's not in a major city, but you could have just as long a commute if you lived and worked in a major city.

Maybe your resume needs some work? Send it around to people you know and get some feedback if you haven't already. Might not be your problem but it's a possibility.
Came here to say the same thing. Airline HR departments can be a hit or miss in terms of how they handle new hire applicants (especially if they’re not familiar with how dispatching works). Make sure your resume is pristine. I’m not actively looking to work elsewhere but I’m constantly reviewing/ tweaking my resume so that if/when I want to throw my hat in again… It’s one last thing to worry about.

I completely agree with the resume advice: GET IT PROFESSIONALLY WRITTEN!!!! I swore I had a really good resume, but only got a couple nibbles. Once I had someone write my resume for me, I started getting test invites and interview offers. I know it can feel like a huge expense, but worth EVERY PENNY if it gets you in the door!

Something I was wondering about, to stand out from most (but not all) applicants, does it give you any kind of bump to have a PPL in addition to the Dispatch cert?

Back