Always Get a Prebuy

Space Monkey

The purpose of a pre-buy is to gain information, so do whatever you think is beneficial to you to get the most information about the aircraft.

Here’s something to consider about prebuys: there is not any guidance or industry standard on prebuys, unless the two parties agree to complete it and record it as an annual inspection. I’ve done prebuys that were more like preflights because they’ve already bought it and I’m flying it home, but I’ve also done prebuys where the buyer didn’t want an in depth inspection for one reason or another. “Don’t look too hard, it’s a good [price, paint, avionics, nostaliga] yada yada yada and I really don’t want to pass on it.”
For sure. People get really, really weird when they buy and/or sell stuff (which, of course is shirt, if it's somebody else's stuff.)

drunkenbeagle

Gang Member
Is it smart/practical/acceptable to be present when the mech is doing the pre-buy?
Yes, highly recommended. Maybe not for all of it, but at least for 15 minutes for them to show you the highlight reel.

I would also take what the prebuy A&P think is "potentially expensive" with a big grain of salt, it is your money, not theirs. You as a buyer may be more willing to write checks for things without blinking an eye that someone else might nickle and dime. But definitely listen to them on the big stuff (AD's, airframe, corrosion, engine, prop, remotely safety of flight, etc). The "yeah, you should fix that at some point, it might cost $800??? stuff) --- who cares? Buy the plane, write a check and fix it.

Best case is when you can get a prebuy when the aircraft is already opened up for annual.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Yes, highly recommended. Maybe not for all of it, but at least for 15 minutes for them to show you the highlight reel.

I would also take what the prebuy A&P think is "potentially expensive" with a big grain of salt, it is your money, not theirs. You as a buyer may be more willing to write checks for things without blinking an eye that someone else might nickle and dime. But definitely listen to them on the big stuff (AD's, airframe, corrosion, engine, prop, remotely safety of flight, etc). The "yeah, you should fix that at some point, it might cost $800??? stuff) --- who cares? Buy the plane, write a check and fix it.

Best case is when you can get a prebuy when the aircraft is already opened up for annual.
If you work things out right, timing that can be crucial. For an airplane out of annual or about to be out of annual, turning the pre-buy into an intensive annual is a really good way to learn what you need to about the airplane without plonking down a massive deposit. Being willing to go half way (or even all the way) on that with a seller is useful.