ALPA files for DL/NWA Single carrier

H46Bubba

Doug or any Delta guys have any info on this?

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/stories/2008/11/11/delta_unions.html

The Air Line Pilots Association and Delta Air Lines have submitted federal filings that are sparking labor conflict just days after Delta closed its merger with Northwest Airlines. The pilots union submitted an application to the National Mediation Board seeking a determination that Delta and Northwest make up a single carrier. Delta agreed with that request in its own filing.

If the National Mediation Board determines that Delta and Northwest are a single carrier across the company, as Delta contends, unions would have 14 days to show interest from at least 35 percent of employees in a craft or class to trigger union representation elections. Northwest is highly unionized, but at Delta, pilots were the only major unionized group.

Primarily for the company to have to negotiate with the pilots (both NWA and DAL) as a single unit. They can't go to NWA and say, "Hey! Ya'll want to fly the 787 for $5 less than the Delta guys?" before we have integration.

Avoids becoming an alter-ego carrier, whipsawing, etc before we're a single group.

Primarily for the company to have to negotiate with the pilots (both NWA and DAL) as a single unit. They can't go to NWA and say, "Hey! Ya'll want to fly the 787 for $5 less than the Delta guys?" before we have integration.

Avoids becoming an alter-ego carrier, whipsawing, etc before we're a single group.
Okay I gotcha.;)

The biggest thing here is the coming FA election. The NWA FAs are unionized, but the DAL FAs aren't. It will be an interesting fight.

Yup.

My father's fiancee is a management FA, so we have numerous discussions regarding this.

It'll be interesting, and I'm pretty much staying out of it now. Whatever the gals want, the gals will get.

Perhaps when they realize how horrible the company will treat them now with a whole 'nother work group to utilize they'll regret their decision.

I heard a rumot from my NWA contact that DL was possibly thinking of pulling some DC9s out of the desert. Dis true?

It makes sense. They already have the pilots who can fly them. The former 9 pilots may hop off the 320s as FOs to upgrade as captains on the 9.

If the 50 seaters start being replaced by DC-9's, I'll have no choice. I'll have to start being a happy monkey.

Back