Allergy Extract Injection

scooter2525

Very well Member
I have the usual seasonal and some non season allergy that I would like treated. Having done OTC and other types of treatment, I would like to try to address this more permanently. Is the weekly allergy shots anything that could impact my medical? Thanks!

Incredibly so. I'm so allergic to grass pollen that I couldn't really leave the house at all during early spring and fall. When I had to go to work, I was miserable. Just those few hours before getting in the air would cause my eyes to swell up and my sinuses to clog. It really sucked. After about 6-8 weeks of the shots, it started to improve, and after 6 months or so, I could leave the house just like anyone else in the middle of spring while the neighbor was mowing his lawn. No effect on me. It was definitely worth the hassle of having to go in every week. Now I just have to go once a month. Eventually it spreads out to once every couple of months, and then once every six months. They say that some people can stop getting the shots completely after 5 years or so, but no guarantees on that.

I still take Claritin and Flonase just as a backup, but when I forget to take it I hardly notice a difference.

I take the shots too. No problems with the flight doc. They've been extremely effective for seasonal allergies.

Thats great to hear. When I go back home to CA, the region where my family lives has notoriously bad allergies. Coastal breeze against the foothills makes major suffering for me. I would like to eliminate that.

QUESTIONS for you immunotherapy guys;
The injections need to be taken on a regular weekly schedule right? How do you fir that into your flight schedule?
I have terrible allergies and would love to get started on immunotherapy however I don't know week to week when I will be home.
Any options (other than suffer) for a guy like me?

I have heard of self administered injections but only after the first 6 months

I have heard of the "drop" but was told it is not FDA approved, ineffective, and costly.

Any ideas?

The injections need to be taken on a regular weekly schedule right? How do you fir that into your flight schedule?
I have terrible allergies and would love to get started on immunotherapy however I don't know week to week when I will be home.

I have heard of the "drop" but was told it is not FDA approved, ineffective, and costly.

Any ideas?

I asked my AME about the yearly shots and he told me to wait 24 hours before flying again. I don't know about the weekly shots.

The FAA guidance on allergy shots is to wait 4 hours after the shot before flying. The "drops" are not FDA approved and thus not FAA approved.

Any ideas?

It was tough when I was flying. I would get off schedule when my line that month didn't fit with the doctor's shots schedule, and then I would have to go back a step or two to build up again. Now I'm not flying so it's real easy, but you can still make it work while flying. It's worth the hassle.

Sorry for the necropost. How do you fill out the medical form for this? Just one office visit, or one for each shot? And do you check the box for allergies /hay fever? I’ve heard that can open a bag of worms.

Sorry for the necropost. How do you fill out the medical form for this? Just one office visit, or one for each shot? And do you check the box for allergies /hay fever? I’ve heard that can open a bag of worms.
I took these for more than 2 years. Just checked the ”allergy/hay fever“ box and add a comment in section 18(?). My comment then was something along the lines of “Taking shots for seasonal allergies on weekly basis. No flying on shot days.” Then I made sure to list my Allergist in the doctor visits section of the application. I NEVER had any questions or push-back from OKC.
Now I still check the “Allergy” box and comment with “Previously reported: seasonal Allergy shot series, 7 years since last shot. No current issues.”

Hi Zapbrannigan,

The guidance on allergy shots (immunotherapy) has recently been updated. It requires a 48 hour no fly period after the first shot and 4 hour no fly after each subsequent injection.

You should check the box for allergies and make a statement that covers treatment used, side effects, and how controlled your symptoms are. If you can get a status report from your allergist stating allergies are controlled with treatment and you have no side effects you should be good to go.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA Designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Back