All pilots get out your keyboards, quiz time.

captainphil

This is for my aviation safety class and i'm applying it here.

Safety Quiz: Answer Yes/No to each question. Honest answers, and no you don't have to post them this can be mentally :).

Questions:
1)When you go to your car in the morning do you do a walk around?

2)If your car is low on fuel do you put it off at all?

3)If your tire pressure is low do you still drive on it anyway ?

4)If a light comes on in your car that says to have your engine checked, do you ignore it and tell yourself you'll worry about it later?

5) do you roll through stop signs?

6) do you change lanes sometimes without signaling?

7)do you sometimes go over the speed limit even though it's against a set of rules(laws)?

8)Have you ever driven your car under stress or any emmotions that could affect your driving?

9) Have your even drank alcoholic beverages within 8 hours of driving a car?

10) After answering these questions, do you feel that you are a safe pilot?

This is not to be taken offensively.

Wow I think I failed miserabley, but this has nothing to do with being a pilot. In a car you can pull off to the side of the road, not so easy to do in the plane. Apples and Oranges.

Nope!

Nah.

Oh hell no! That thing will bug the crap out of me if even one gets about 4psi too low.

4)If a light comes on in your car that says to have your engine checked, do you ignore it and tell yourself you'll worry about it later?

N/A -- still under warranty so of course!

As an accident victim of a person who did, nope!

Rarely.

7)do you sometimes go over the speed limit even though it's against a set of rules(laws)?

Not saying! FiveO's probably reading this.

8)Have you ever driven your car under stress or any emmotions that could affect your driving?

Sure! The "HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS A BLAST TO DRIVE" can be a little dangerous.

Oh, sure.

Safe enough!

None taken!

Wow I think I failed miserabley, but this has nothing to do with being a pilot. In a car you can pull off to the side of the road, not so easy to do in the plane. Apples and Oranges.

True, but the topic is safety regardless, such as breaking rules like speeding in a car.Who says a pilot might not push his/her plane faster than it should go? not th at most
pilots would unless its microsoft flight sim pilots :).

Again I think it is two different things, I paid like $250 for my drivers licence, no big deal. Now my Pilots licences have put me in the poor house, so I am as safe as I can be, I don't want to lose them or my life.

Again I think it is two different things, I paid like $250 for my drivers licence, no big deal. Now my Pilots licences have put me in the poor house, so I am as safe as I can be, I don't want to lose them.

my pockets feel empty too :(.

Safety Quiz: Answer Yes/No to each question. Honest answers, and no you don't have to post them this can be mentally :).

Questions:
No
Always running close to empty, 5$ fill up king
Yes
Yes
If I don't see a cop
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Did I pass?

1)Only after the wife drives it.
2)Quarter tank makes me edgy.
3)If i know it's low, no.
4)No - just look it up in the Haynes manual.
5)No
6)No
7)Doesn't everyone?
8)Never ride with me after I play Grand Turismo.
9)Yes
10)Yes

Questions:
Only since I learned to fly to I at least check the tires [tyres since being in foreign hostels] no oil check etc.
Since, for the past 18 months, I used to fill up in a state where gas was almost the lowest price in the USA, I did occasionally put it off until I was in that state on the way to the airport/crashpad

I put it to where it should be

For two years I had a check engine light on that I knew would come one due to a catalytic converter being less than California standards (even though I was in California with it). I ignored it and then got a new car.

As soon as I determine that there are no police officers observing me I roll right through it. It's 2008, there are no pedestrians at the intersections I do this, and gas is too expensive. If there are ANY pedestrians within sight I will stop and make sure there are none closer than I think there are.

To the cops out there: sorry but my interaction with your co-workers so far has resulted in me losing almost all respect for you. I know two cops personally and they are not in this category and I hope the next police officer I meet can cancel out the experiences I've had with some in the past (and I have no criminal record).

No. I use the turn signal.

I believe that the less time I spend on the road, the safer I am. In other words:
55 MPH - 1h15m drive
75 MPH - 1h05m drive

I will drive 75 MPH. First, the increase in gas burn is cancelled out by the 10 minutes less spent on the highway.

Second, I figure right now as a sober driver more than half the risk of me being in a car crash is being hit by another driver who is:
- Swatting a rambunctious child
- Talking on a cell phone
- Falling asleep
- Trying to eat something
- Drunk
- et cetera

The sooner I get off of the roads, the less likely I am to be hit by another driver. Chances are that is what is going to kill me in a car and not my own driving, so long as I am not a DWI or a reckless driver.

Tough one. We are all depressed sometimes and there is no denying that I have been driving my car at one point or another where I am upset about something. But if it were something unusually upsetting (so far nothing like that has happened since I got my license) then I'd make an effort not to drive. If I couldn't get a ride then I'd probably stay home. Back in high school I walked home six miles rather than riding in a car with a driver that I was convinced that had too many drinks to be driving a few of my friends safely.

No.

Yes.

No.
I tend to run low on fuel. My truck has a 36 gallon tank, and my credit card would hit the $50 limit twice if I tried to fill it completely. So it's usually low.
As little as possible.
Yes. Those lights will often come on for trivial things.
No.
Very rarely.
Sometimes? Pretty much all the time, except in areas such as school or construction zones.
Probably.
Sure.
Yep!

If I don't do a walk around before I drive my car then I'm not a safe pilot?

The ramifications of frame failure, engine failure, fuel exhaustion, warning lights and exceeding speed limits are astronomically different in an aircraft. I never do a walk-around on my car BUT I always do a thorough preflight. I have never exceeded Vne in an airplane BUT I exceed the speed limit by at least 5-10MPH daily in my car. I have run my car completely out of gas before(doh!) BUT I have a personal policy of at least 1 hour of reserve fuel in my airplane.

I know(all too well) that pilot interviews usually get around to your driving record and it makes sense that someone with a record of being reckless in a car might be a higher risk for being reckless in an airplane but no one usually dies, gets hurt, or crashes when a car runs out of gas.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here but assuming the post is not meant to be tongue in cheek, I'm not sure that the automobile/aircraft analogies are fair comparisons.

just my $.02

I have two cars I drive regularly.. Both of them are treated differently..

Yep..

Car 1 - Nope.. You will be out of gas very soon after the light comes on.
Car 2 - Yep..

Nope..

Car 1 - Car is pulled over immediately..
Car 2 - Depends on how the car is running.. Usually wait to get home..

I have.. Red lights too.. Not with out getting a "clear left, clear right" LOL.. I live in rural Alabama..

All the time..

LOL.. If you drove Car 1 you would too.. ;)
Car 2 - Yes..

Yup..

Nope..

Yup..

You ever heard the phrase "This isn't like a car, you can't just pull over..." Very little, with the exception of a catastrophic event in a car if life threatening like it could be in an airplane..

I will drive 75 MPH. First, the increase in gas burn is cancelled out by the 10 minutes less spent on the highway.
That's inaccurate. Your car gets higher MPG the slower you go (down to a certain point), it's miles per GALLON not miles per MINUTE. Just something to consider.

In other words, the slower you go, the further you will go on a given amount of gas.

Questions:
Only if something was out of place.

Usually at least until I get a low fuel indication.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're low right now

Yeah I chock it up to be an emissions problem that will fix itself. Usually does.

Stop signs are to be treated as yield signs.

I think the question here is do I ever signal when changing lanes?

I usually set my cruise control 5mph over at a very minimum.

More often than not.

Many a time.

Oh, totally. If I ever kill myself it will be in a car, not an airplane.

Nor was it.

I check my tires if that counts..?

No.

No.

Yes.

If on duty and needed then yes. If I'm in my personal whip than no.

If I am on duty and just cruising then yes. If I am on duty and responding to a call I do my very best to try to. Off duty I always do.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes... just not my patrol car.

Yes.

My personal airplane was built in 1976 somewhere in the US. My car was built in Germany in 2008. The plane I fly for a living was built in 1963, retired in the 80's and brought back in its new life in the 90s. For question 1, I would say if my car was that old, I may do a walk around!

If I don't do a walk around before I drive my car then I'm not a safe pilot?

The ramifications of frame failure, engine failure, fuel exhaustion, warning lights and exceeding speed limits are astronomically different in an aircraft. I never do a walk-around on my car BUT I always do a thorough preflight. I have never exceeded Vne in an airplane BUT I exceed the speed limit by at least 5-10MPH daily in my car. I have run my car completely out of gas before(doh!) BUT I have a personal policy of at least 1 hour of reserve fuel in my airplane.

I know(all too well) that pilot interviews usually get around to your driving record and it makes sense that someone with a record of being reckless in a car might be a higher risk for being reckless in an airplane but no one usually dies, gets hurt, or crashes when a car runs out of gas.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here but assuming the post is not meant to be tongue in cheek, I'm not sure that the automobile/aircraft analogies are fair comparisons.

just my $.02
I don't know. I think you're just as likley to have your wing fall off in flight as you are having a wheel fall off your car while you're going 65mph down the highway. You're just as likely to lose control and die as well. Its also, in my opinion, LESS dangerous to run out of fuel in an airplane when you're above extensive farmland, than it is to run out of gas in the middle of a 8 lane highway during rush hour.

I think the point of this thread is how differently people view aviation safety as opposed to car safety. I really don't think aviation is that much more unsafe than driving. There are more pilots that die from car crashes than plane crashes per year. You'll never see someone here admit to going 10 feet below MDA, but just about everyone will admit to doing a "rolling stop" at a stop sign. Statistically speaking, the rolling stop causes a lot more deaths than 10 feet below MDA.

Back