Alaska

sxauer

Anybody know if the current state of the industry is going to affect the summer hiring boom in Alaska? I know that Alaska is sort of its own entity...kinda...

Also, if anybody has any info on how to go about finding a job (seasonal) flying in alaska, please share
smile.gif
All that I can find is pay sites that list companies. I'm looking at http://www.flyalaska.com/new/jobs.html and thinking of forking over the 20 bucks, anybody have any info/suggestions? I've allways been told that flying jobs in Alaska are great time builders and very challenging....

Can you tell me what kind of mins they are looking for generally? No sense shredding 20 bux if I dont meet the mins.

I have heard from the captain I was paired with last month that Alaska may start doing some limited hiring soon. I think that you almost have to have a reference inside the company to talk to them.

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard from the captain I was paired with last month that Alaska may start doing some limited hiring soon. I think that you almost have to have a reference inside the company to talk to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is talking about seasonal flying in the state of Alaska.

I have looked into flying there, and it seemed like having around 500 hours, tail wheel and sea plane rating was the key. Also being willing to just move there and look for work in person.

The other bit of information I ran across was, with the state of the industry these days there are not as many openings in Alaska because there are pilots furloughed etc with previous Alaska bush flying experience.

That being said, if you can swing it, I would recomend taking an extended vacation up there this spring, and start knocking on doors, you never know what could happen.

Good luck.

Travis

I made a trip up to Alaska in January, and talked to a lot of people. I was offered a job instructing the first of February and began instructing the first of March. I was offered a job last week flying a 207 out of Bethel. The company is good and growing. I will probably flying either a Cessna 406 or Beech 1900 within a year. Like others have said, make the trip up and take anything that is available to build the Alaska time everyone is looking for and then look for something better.

Back