Alaska cruise - binoculars to rent?

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Hi everyone,

Taking the family on an Alaska cruise next year and want to have binoculars for everyone for whales etc. Don't really want to invest in a bunch of binoculars that we will never use again. Does anyone know of a place where I could rent a few pairs for a week or two? Or does anyone have a pair of good quality binoculars they would be willing to rent me? I'm located in the DFW area.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Hi everyone,

Taking the family on an Alaska cruise next year and want to have binoculars for everyone for whales etc. Don't really want to invest in a bunch of binoculars that we will never use again. Does anyone know of a place where I could rent a few pairs for a week or two? Or does anyone have a pair of good quality binoculars they would be willing to rent me? I'm located in the DFW area.

are you sure you wanna do a cruise?

Hi everyone,

I don’t have a lead on binoculars but check in when you’re in Juneau if you’re not busy on tours all day

Honestly a good a good $50 pair would probably be your best bet, then keep it in the glove box after the trip for who knows what comes up down the road.

Honestly a good a good $50 pair would probably be your best bet, then keep it in the glove box after the trip for who knows what comes up down the road.

I don't know anything about them. What magnification? Any other features to look for?

I don't know anything about them. What magnification? Any other features to look for?

I would think any of those would do the trick. Sometimes binoculars can get in the way of trying to see things. You look at such a small area at any given time, it's easy to miss other things.

Most of the time the cruise ships are underway at night, so you won't see much at that time. And the whale watching yours can get close enough to see them with your naked eyes pretty easily.

What are your stops on the cruise?

I would think any of those would do the trick. Sometimes binoculars can get in the way of trying to see things. You look at such a small area at any given time, it's easy to miss other things.

Most of the time the cruise ships are underway at night, so you won't see much at that time. And the whale watching yours can get close enough to see them with your naked eyes pretty easily.

What are your stops on the cruise?

Hey thanks! Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, cruising in Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, and Victoria BC

I sold our boat last year in August, paid 20k for it in 2007, and had 16k in cash on the kitchen table eight hours after I listed it on FB marketplace. The couple buying it said they were renting a glorious house on a nearby “wealthy” lake, and to rent a similar boat for a week was five grand. Sure as poo sticks to a blanket my boat was on the list of Craigs three weeks later for two grand more than he bought it for. My point? Get some decent glass, preferably used, and then sell them later. Hassle, yes. Also, personally, a couple pair should suffice, and share them.

Everybody's dad seems to have a pair of binoculars. Find a dad to lend you a pair!

I am kinda late to the thread, if you're still looking for binoculars my $.02 is:

I am a fan of vortex optics. I have rifle scopes and binoculars by them. My binos worked when it was torrential downpour on a duck hunting trip when other peoples failed.

I bought them from optics planet.

Right now they have a pair of entry level 10x42s for a 140 bucks

Don’t know if cruise ships roll much compared to a destroyer.

Unlike on land, you don’t want a high magnification. you’ll be frustrated trying to keep the object youre trying to view within the field of view of the binos as the ship rolls.

stick to the lower end rather than the higher end for magnification. like 7x or 8x And not 10x.

we used 7x50s aboard ship for everything, but 50mm means a huge set of binos.

the larger second number the larger the binos will be but larger lens allow more light and are better for low light environments.

so if you’re going off the budget list aspilot2be posted, the 8x42s or 8x40s are the better choices vs the 10x binos and definitely not the
16x binos.

Last edited:
Santa brought me a pair of Steiner Navigator Pro 7x 50's. Autofocus is fantastic.
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.20.23 PM.png

Back