Alaska Airlines

ORDatc2020

Aircraft Dispatcher
I have heard AS will be posting DX position sometime in the next week.

Anyone know how it is there, QOL, Pay etc. I know the spreadsheet says the pay and days on/off but wanted to get a more detailed idea of things there from someone who either works there or from someone that knows people there.

Thanks for the information

Last edited:
SWA has taken in a few of their former dispatchers. I know a few people up there as well and they really like the PNW. Last I had heard from them there was still a divide between the VX people and as they put it "the real AS" people. I haven't talked with anyone up there recently but one big bummer about AS to me was that they are hourly. You trade off a lot of time and you see no paycheck. I love being off of work for an extended period and continuing to get the same paycheck twice a month. But that's just me.

SWA has taken in a few of their former dispatchers. I know a few people up there as well and they really like the PNW. Last I had heard from them there was still a divide between the VX people and as they put it "the real AS" people. I haven't talked with anyone up there recently but one big bummer about AS to me was that they are hourly. You trade off a lot of time and you see no paycheck. I love being off of work for an extended period and continuing to get the same paycheck twice a month. But that's just me.

Good to know, thanks for the info

Hello. I am an ASA dispatcher and will give you some info. First, ASA will be hiring, and hiring a significant amount for us over two classes in the next few months, with the first hiring round opening any day now. 14 new dispatchers is officially on the budget. Since i’ve been here (covid) there hasn’t been hiring in almost two years…so I am of course very excited. Also, i’ve been told that ASA is not going to just fill all the slots with QX people, and that there is actually a percentage cap on the amount of dispatchers from there that will get the job.

I am a newer dispatcher here, and I have heard stories of the VX / AS tension, but that has been gone since i’ve been here. It seems it was all contractual grievances that have since been rectified.

What Affirm said about being hourly is absolutely true. We work 4 on 4 off 10 hour shifts, so we lose out on a good chunk of pay only working 1820 hours a year. In actuality we work 9.5 hours as the last 30 minutes is our “break” or “lunch” dispatchers notoriously don’t get.

Pay scale keeps changing and even i’ve lost track of what it is nowadays, but it’s roughly 40-75 dollars per hour base pay. Overtime has been rather plentiful, and you get paid for several different things including shift differential, being State of Alaska qualified, etc. We voted to extend our contract during covid, so there’s no new contract yet being discussed.

The shifts are pretty damn good. There is a black out on shifts starting after 9pm, and ending at 5am - so there’s no absolutely awful midnight or 1am or 2am starts that I have been subject to in my past lives. I’ve got a better shift now than I did at my last LCC after being halfway up the seniority list.

HQ is located right next to Seatac in a brand new office that was just recently finished this year. You can see the south end of the runways / airport from our floor which is kind of neat.

Hello. I am an ASA dispatcher and will give you some info. First, ASA will be hiring, and hiring a significant amount for us over two classes in the next few months, with the first hiring round opening any day now. 14 new dispatchers is officially on the budget. Since i’ve been here (covid) there hasn’t been hiring in almost two years…so I am of course very excited. Also, i’ve been told that ASA is not going to just fill all the slots with QX people, and that there is actually a percentage cap on the amount of dispatchers from there that will get the job.

I am a newer dispatcher here, and I have heard stories of the VX / AS tension, but that has been gone since i’ve been here. It seems it was all contractual grievances that have since been rectified.

What Affirm said about being hourly is absolutely true. We work 4 on 4 off 10 hour shifts, so we lose out on a good chunk of pay only working 1820 hours a year. In actuality we work 9.5 hours as the last 30 minutes is our “break” or “lunch” dispatchers notoriously don’t get.

Pay scale keeps changing and even i’ve lost track of what it is nowadays, but it’s roughly 40-75 dollars per hour base pay. Overtime has been rather plentiful, and you get paid for several different things including shift differential, being State of Alaska qualified, etc. We voted to extend our contract during covid, so there’s no new contract yet being discussed.

The shifts are pretty damn good. There is a black out on shifts starting after 9pm, and ending at 5am - so there’s no absolutely awful midnight or 1am or 2am starts that I have been subject to in my past lives. I’ve got a better shift now than I did at my last LCC after being halfway up the seniority list.

HQ is located right next to Seatac in a brand new office that was just recently finished this year. You can see the south end of the runways / airport from our floor which is kind of neat.

Awesome!! Thank you so much for that detailed information. I appreciate it.

Of the people that went to other airlines in the last few years, it was because they had ties to those places rather than SEA

Random and hope this does not come off the wrong way or off the subject, but where would most people rank or view Alaska in term of the airlines?

I'm assuming its not in the tier of AA, Delta, United, SW.. but likely in the tier of Hawaii, JetBlue, and above the likes of Frontier, Spirit, etc?

It would be a move up for a regional DX like myself or better holding out for a possible major?

Random and hope this does not come off the wrong way or off the subject, but where would most people rank or view Alaska in term of the airlines?

I'm assuming its not in the tier of AA, Delta, United, SW.. but likely in the tier of Hawaii, JetBlue, and above the likes of Frontier, Spirit, etc?

It would be a move up for a regional DX like myself or better holding out for a possible major?

I'm sure many would consider it a final destination as far as a career goes, I've worked with a handful of folks from AS and have a couple of friends elsewhere in the company and they all seem to really like where they are at. Putting in a couple years at a place like AS or WN and getting some seniority, I'm not sure a ton of people would be willing to give that up to be at the bottom at a major.

Not to mention, HQ is in probably one of the best parts of the country....Seattle is meh but the PNW is amazing if you're into anything outdoors.

No one leaves AS WN AA UA DL fedex or UPS unleas they have family ties somewhere or absolutely HATE the city. So dont try to downplay AS or WN.

I would rank Alaska at the bottom because of where they're located. The cost of living, traffic, political climate, and the general weather pattern make activities of daily living too onerous for my taste.

I hope you don't mind that I sent you a PM with a few more questions

Thanks

I'm sure many would consider it a final destination as far as a career goes, I've worked with a handful of folks from AS and have a couple of friends elsewhere in the company and they all seem to really like where they are at. Putting in a couple years at a place like AS or WN and getting some seniority, I'm not sure a ton of people would be willing to give that up to be at the bottom at a major.

Not to mention, HQ is in probably one of the best parts of the country....Seattle is meh but the PNW is amazing if you're into anything outdoors.
Seattle is awesome.

AS was top of my list, I wanted to be there. I love the outdoors and everywhere else (Dallas, Atlanta & Chicago) all kind of suck for that in comparison. AS just never called me. I kept trying for my first couple years at WN but never even got to test/interview. Once I started to climb the seniority ladder, got off reserve and had a kid it just didn't make sense for my family anymore. I love working at WN though, its great company. Being based centrally in the US makes travel nice since we have family in both the east and west. If I am not working though, I am not in TX!

AS was top of my list, I wanted to be there. I love the outdoors and everywhere else (Dallas, Atlanta & Chicago) all kind of suck for that in comparison. AS just never called me. I kept trying for my first couple years at WN but never even got to test/interview. Once I started to climb the seniority ladder, got off reserve and had a kid it just didn't make sense for my family anymore. I love working at WN though, its great company. Being based centrally in the US makes travel nice since we have family in both the east and west. If I am not working though, I am not in TX!

WN is FAR better than AS...you are lucky to be at WN rather than AS...your pay/qol is astronomically better than there. WN is in my union but wn is in their separate local...hi from UPS

Back