Alaska Airlines Dispatch Opening

Any current Alaska Dispatchers can you shed some light on QOL, benefits (I hear the ZED offers are pretty decent), schedule etc. I found it interesting that you only work 35hrs a week compared to other places that have the standard 40hrs a week. Is that a big income hit or is it pretty manageable, in looking for apartments that range to around 1800-2500$ a month.
Thanks for your time.

Any current Alaska Dispatchers can you shed some light on QOL, benefits (I hear the ZED offers are pretty decent), schedule etc. I found it interesting that you only work 35hrs a week compared to other places that have the standard 40hrs a week. Is that a big income hit or is it pretty manageable, in looking for apartments that range to around 1800-2500$ a month.
Thanks for your time.
So, Alaska Dispatch works a 4 on 4 off. It does equate to an average of 35 for week. The nice part is you get at least one full weekend off per month (which is nice for those of us that have significant others that work bank hours).

As far as the pay, it’s comfortable. To some of the new hires, the most important thing was living in the city. Some other new dispatchers prefer to commute some distance and save some money. Seattle is affordable with what you get paid. A lot of people live here on a lot less. Also, it’s a union job, so raises come yearly.

Personally, I love Seattle and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. Chicago and Atlanta are fine towns, but there’s something special about Seattle. Maybe it’s the fact that you are surrounded by water and mountains?

So, Alaska Dispatch works a 4 on 4 off. It does equate to an average of 35 for week. The nice part is you get at least one full weekend off per month (which is nice for those of us that have significant others that work bank hours).

As far as the pay, it’s comfortable. To some of the new hires, the most important thing was living in the city. Some other new dispatchers prefer to commute some distance and save some money. Seattle is affordable with what you get paid. A lot of people live here on a lot less. Also, it’s a union job, so raises come yearly.

Personally, I love Seattle and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. Chicago and Atlanta are fine towns, but there’s something special about Seattle. Maybe it’s the fact that you are surrounded by water and mountains?

Thanks for the info, very helpful

Do you know if it's still a 20 year payscale? And if so, are there plans to lower it?

Yes the PAC NW is quite nice. Sadly, I would lose to much money to change companies, even with not having to pay for an extra apartment and the required state tax where I work. Thus I'll still drag my hindside across the country.

Yes the PAC NW is quite nice. Sadly, I would lose to much money to change companies, even with not having to pay for an extra apartment and the required state tax where I work. Thus I'll still drag my hindside across the country.

Washington state is one of the most beautiful places to live (If your into outdoor activities there’s a few national parks within that state. Vancouver is to the North, Idaho/Oregon surrounding states. Some people don’t like Seattle because it’s always cloudy and rains and it’s expensive . So if your into outdoor activities, AS is an ideal fit.

Back