AirTran Cuts.....180 pilots and 300 f/a jobs

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
ATLANTA (AP) -- Discount carrier AirTran Airways is cutting 480 jobs, or more than 5% of its work force, amid difficult financial times due largely to soaring fuel prices, a company executive said Monday.

The Orlando, Fla.-based airline told employees that 180 pilot jobs and 300 flight attendant jobs will be eliminated effective Sept. 6, according to Kevin Healy, senior vice president of marketing and planning for AirTran Holdings Inc. Flights will also be reduced in September, Healy said.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/07/news/companies/air_tran.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes

:( Sorry to hear. Didnt they just get a 42 million dollar government flying contract?

The official notice was put on Flica yesterday. The final tally is 177 total reductions in force. Notice that I said "reduction in force" rather than furlough. Why do I make the distinction? Because the company says they are going to terminate these pilots rather than furlough them. They're using probie terminations as a bargaining chip to get concessions from us on certain items.

The official notice was put on Flica yesterday. The final tally is 177 total reductions in force. Notice that I said "reduction in force" rather than furlough. Why do I make the distinction? Because the company says they are going to terminate these pilots rather than furlough them. They're using probie terminations as a bargaining chip to get concessions from us on certain items.
Wow!

you're kidding right? thats pretty crappy of them to put you guys in a corner like that. Aren't terminations really bad marks for pilots?

you're kidding right? thats pretty crappy of them to put you guys in a corner like that. Aren't terminations really bad marks for pilots?
If someone that gets canned for this takes in a LOR and can explain the situation and still gets their balls busted in an interview, it's probably not a place they'd want to work anyway. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Sorry to hear that guys. Buckle up everyone, I have a feeling there's going to be more crap like this to come.

-mini

If someone that gets canned for this takes in a LOR and can explain the situation and still gets their balls busted in an interview, it's probably not a place they'd want to work anyway. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Sorry to hear that guys. Buckle up everyone, I have a feeling there's going to be more crap like this to come.

-mini

Thats a good point but it's still really messed up that management would do that. I bet they still haven't gone back on the pay raises they took either.

Good luck PCL- I hope they don't take too much from you guys.

Amazing. . .and my greatest fear at the other end of the C concourse breezeway is my own company using these very same tactics.

What a ####ing #### face company.

Nope. In fact, according to the mechanics union, a company VP told them that they "deserve" their bonuses and won't be giving them up.

Was that one of the ex-Southernjet managers?

That was a page out of Mr. Bedfords 2001 playbook where all the crew reductions were done by firing probies. The some were fired out of senioirty order as the SAABs were parked and the EMBs kept.

The court upheld the firings.

Hope AirTran has a better go of it.

That was a page out of Mr. Bedfords 2001 playbook where all the crew reductions were done by firing probies. The some were fired out of senioirty order as the SAABs were parked and the EMBs kept.

The court upheld the firings.

Hope AirTran has a better go of it.

Our contract language is pretty decent on this, so I doubt it would hold up in court. The union is planning on filing an injunction ahead of time to try to stop them from even doing it in the first place.

That is LOW.

Back