Airport Occupations.

eau_d_toilette

as i attempt to finish one more semester of high school, i am considering taking a class offered through a local Occupational Center called Airport Occupations which is taught at my local airport, LAX. Basically, the class is desgined to teach the "basic skills to work at the airport" which includes "customer service skills, basic manual ticketing, ramp procedures, airport security, catering services, ground attendant." Currently im debating whether or not i should take this class, weighing its valuability in the future. I was hoping this class would help me be more employable as i go job hunting at embry-riddle[whether i work at DAB or MCO] this fall but i want to know if this will help me. There are many things im considering, but at least this would be good for the exposure. any thoughts?

It can't hurt, what the hell take the course you may learn something & make some connections, besides, another extra item you can add to your resume.

thanks everyone. i started today and its out of T4 @ LAX. the AA terminal is amazing, much nicer than the other ternminals i have left LAX from. toda we took our tour and we even drove out to the American Eagle terminal. its on the job trianing, specifically Customer Service Agent work, and we'll be dispatched to various duties. thanks for the advice, im glad i took it.

btw, how employable do you think i will be as a result of this class. do you think i have any chance of getting a job with an airline @ LAX, or any airline anywhere for that matter?

I'm going to go with the standard "It couldn't hurt" answer. Honestly, it may only improve your chances slightly. If you have to go through the ten year background check to get the ID badge for the airport, you will at least have that info sorted and ready when a future employer asks for it. I had to yank out my credit report to get my old addresses. How many times a day does someone ask what your zip code was ten years ago, especially if you've moved about every year or two?
smile.gif

Gotta agree with Kellwolf. I work the line on Sundays at my FBO and because of that, I stand a VERY good chance of getting on as an instructor in a few months when I finish my initial CFI.

One of my friends who is about neck and neck with me in our training has neglected to network out there and probably has less of a chance.

Give it a try.

Back