Airport "go arounds" a saftey hazard probe

I saw this on MSNBC site. The incident happened at LAS as a UAL flight missed and turned right. I thought all missed approaches were to the left in LAS or at least the opposite direction of the departing runway.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25513684/

Missed approach is usually as depicted on the approach plate for that particular approach, but ATC can give different instructions if warrented.

Missed approach is usually as depicted on the approach plate for that particular approach, but ATC can give different instructions if warrented.

It's very rare to see a missed approach published when you are shooting a visual approach. Just oddball places like DCA and places with mountainous escape procedures. Every where else you just plane on tower telling you where they want you or just flying a crosswind and downwind to get back to the runway.

Also I think out of all the times I've gone missed in actual IMC when using some sort of published approach (and it hasn't been that many times) I've only flown the published missed once, and that was in a non radar environment.

The only times I've flown a published missed is when I've requested them when getting someone instrument current and it was the easiest way to get a hold. Of course, it's hard to find a non-radar environment in Florida...

Was reading this earlier in the morning and wondering if the reporter was just bored or if maybe the all the bad financial news was getting stale and he's looking for fresh meat.

Funny thing is - was on short final for Rwy 8L yesterday and ATC calls 'winds 250@11 gusting to 20'. Gee, thanx! Power, flaps, gear, 360 heading and 5 minutes later we come back to 'check winds on ATIS' (190@6). Must not have liked the RJ behind us making the same decision. To the controller's credit, the winds were mostly out of the south before and after!

ROFL

So...somehow the reporter confused the go-around maneuver and missed approach procedures at large airports?? There's a difference Mr. Reporter. Seriously, read a book!

Aviation + Media = Disaster (most of the time anyway)

True. The general public will believe this and aviation will once again look dangerous...

I dont see what the big deal is...i would rather have a plane going around than to have one landing on a runway with another plane on it.

The media adds confusion.

Robbie

There is actually some validity to this story. Take CVG for example. It's pretty common to have aircraft departing 18C and 27, and arriving on 18L and 18R. If you need to go around while on short final for 18R and they just sent one downrange off of 27, it can make for a nasty situation.

Yeah, I think this story is somewhat legit. Its not saying the actual manuever of a go around is dangerous but what happens after that. I was wondering yesterday coming into BOS on 22L and we were to hold short of 27 for landing traffic. What if both of us go around. They were launching off 22R and that procedure has them make a hard left turn. What if we had to go around, and the departure aircraft was coming around into our path? Just a thought I had. One they could have mentioned was TCAS. But I'm not sure if I want to descend when i'm only at 1000 feet if I get a TCAS RA.

Some controllers want the Federal Aviation Administration to take extra precautions such as staggering arriving flights and not using crisscross runways simultaneously

Yeah, and that will reduce congestion....

I've always thought go were much more dangerous than they should be. I personally prefer landing on the runway with an airplane or truck still sitting there.

Had my first go around today (part 121) - was on a Southwest flight that picked up a wind shear warning at about 1000'.

Back