Airplane lands on 95

Matt13C

http://www.wesh.com/news/16634189/detail.html

After landing in the median of Interstate 95 in Volusia County, a small plane took off again Tuesday afternoon.It happened near the U.S. Highway 1 exit in Ormond Beach.

Authorities said the emergency landing brought traffic in both directions to a stop for a short time.During a flight from Ormond Beach to Flagler beach, a cylinder seized up and the engine failed, forcing the landing.FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said two people were aboard the plane at the time of the landing, an instructor and a student pilot. Initial reports said only the pilot was on board. Neither passenger was injured.

The plane’s owner, Adrian Thompson, was called to the scene to make repairs. It took three hours to repair the single-engine Cessna 150.Thompson told police he needed 600 feet of highway to get up to speed to take off so troopers ensured he had enough highway space to get off the ground.

The report said he landed on the median. But I wonder what would have happened if he landed and hit a car. Is it treated like an auto accident? Is it treated less severely since the aircraft is in an emergency situation?

http://www.wesh.com/news/16634189/detail.html

After landing in the median of Interstate 95 in Volusia County, a small plane took off again Tuesday afternoon.It happened near the U.S. Highway 1 exit in Ormond Beach.

Authorities said the emergency landing brought traffic in both directions to a stop for a short time.During a flight from Ormond Beach to Flagler beach, a cylinder seized up and the engine failed, forcing the landing.FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said two people were aboard the plane at the time of the landing, an instructor and a student pilot. Initial reports said only the pilot was on board. Neither passenger was injured.

The plane’s owner, Adrian Thompson, was called to the scene to make repairs. It took three hours to repair the single-engine Cessna 150.Thompson told police he needed 600 feet of highway to get up to speed to take off so troopers ensured he had enough highway space to get off the ground.

The report said he landed on the median. But I wonder what would have happened if he landed and hit a car. Is it treated like an auto accident? Is it treated less severely since the aircraft is in an emergency situation?[/quote]

Damn well better be, you can do whatever you want in an emergency.

only 3 hours to overhaul a seized engine, with hand tools, on site?

:confused:
Only a single cylinder seized so really, all the tools you would need can easily fit into an athletic bag. Replacing a cylinder is quick and easy, he didn't overhaul the engine.

I have a couple hundred hours in that plane. N714GZ It was one of the best planes Ormond Beach Aviation has, That thing used to climb like a 172. It would cook along at 95 to 100 kts too. I wonder if those blokes wore it out already.

eek!! Although I hope it never happens to me, that would be neat to do..

Cessna 714gz cleared for takeoff runway..err..highway 95 :)

Robbie

95 was always one of my escape routes in case of an engine failure out of OMD. My big question was always which way I was going to land, given wind, traffic, and the chance to make that decision.

I wonder how you would log that?

Back