Airline/Flight Training Academies

Erauboi1984

I am currently a student at riddle, and feel that I am spending way to much money and getting nowhere. A pilot friend of mine suggested i get my degree from another college and get my flight training on the side as well. However I have found out about theses acadamies cuch as Flight Safety, and Regional Airline Academy, Gulfstream, and so forth. I was wondering how many people have heard anything about these academies, and do pilots shooting for the majors (with regionals in mind first of course) ever take this route? I was considering possible doing one of these academies considering the fact that I basically have no flight time at all. I just wanted some advice on whether or not thses academies are a good choice or not. I also have to finiance my entire education, so I dont know if spending all that money and then coming out in the end with a 500 per month loan payment and no job is worth it. Thanks

Be careful when you mention the word Gulfstream around here. I believe they are viewed as one of the PFT schools. Not Good !!!

[ QUOTE ]
I also have to finiance my entire education, so I dont know if spending all that money and then coming out in the end with a 500 per month loan payment and no job is worth it. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would your student loan payments be after you graduate from ERAU??

I always tell people that if they're really set on an aviation degree but they don't want to spend $100,000 then they should check out many of the smaller 4-year schools that offer aviation programs. Even after you figure in the out-of-state tuition, the total will be far less than Riddle.

If you look at My web page (sorry about the plug, Doug...
grin.gif
) you'll see that I have some schools listed there. Pay particular attention to Northwestern State University in La. and Louisiana Tech University. Most people have never even heard of the aviation programs at these schools, yet they offer a quality education at a [small] fraction of the cost!!! And the list of these schools goes on.....

[ QUOTE ]
Just look at the list of forums...there are dozens of discussions on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, there are dozens of discussions on everything that pops up!!! We can't stop the forums!!!

grin.gif

Why even go to a big academy? Get a non-aviation degree is something you enjoy and fly at a smaller flight school. Everyone see's those "how to be an airline pilot" ads in Flight Training and Flying and think that's the only way to accomplish the goal.

[ QUOTE ]
Why even go to a big academy? Get a non-aviation degree is something you enjoy and fly at a smaller flight school. Everyone see's those "how to be an airline pilot" ads in Flight Training and Flying and think that's the only way to accomplish the goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly it, DE727UPS. That's why I'm such a fan of the smaller 4-year schools. You get flight training for not more than you'd pay at a regular FBO (sometimes cheaper...) and a degree at public state university rates!!

Does it get any better??

People goto Big Academies because they can get student loans that are deferred just like a govt student loan is. If you goto a small FBO you either have to have money in the bank which most people dont.. or have a good paying job and low bills.. which again doesnt apply to alot of people or you have to get a loan that requires you pay the interest while doing flight training and most people would rather not take on a extra bill especially when they have little money at hand. While I did my private at a FBO, I do understand the draw to the academies.. if for nothing more then just the assistance they offer in getting loans to pursue your goals in life.

Ryan

[ QUOTE ]
People goto Big Academies because they can get student loans that are deferred just like a govt student loan is.

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT....if you go to a 4-year school with an aviation program, you can get FED loans, and at the right school, you can pay for tuition AND a substantial part of your flight training.

FED loans dont usually cover the cost of flight training, even at a 4yr college. As a first yr dependant student the most you can get in stafford loans is 2625, and 3500 your 2nd yr and 5500 yer 3rd year with a Maximum Aggregate of 23,000, while that might get you through the 4 yrs of tution, books, etc at a University, its not enough to pay for flight training.

Ryan

You can get private loans on top of FED loans at a university just as easy as at an academy, and you can get grants at a college,/ univ. also which can be substantial. I've got over 12K in grants in the last 4 years, and you don't have to pay that back!
tongue.gif

I agree, state schools are the way to go unless you want a HUGE debt.

[ QUOTE ]
FED loans dont usually cover the cost of flight training, even at a 4yr college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point...but when you throw in some Pell Grants (if you don't qualify for them, flight training expenses aren't going to break you anyway) each year, you're right back on track. This doesn't include any scholarships that you may qualify for.

If you happen to have served in the military and been discharged honorably, or are married, or have any dependants you can get quite a bit more in student loans.

[/ QUOTE ] but when you throw in some Pell Grants (if you don't qualify for them, flight training expenses aren't going to break you anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, I wish that were true. I make less than $30K a year, and I don't qualify for a Pell Grant......

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] but when you throw in some Pell Grants (if you don't qualify for them, flight training expenses aren't going to break you anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, I wish that were true. I make less than $30K a year, and I don't qualify for a Pell Grant......

[/ QUOTE ]

That's wild and crazy, because I've made more than that and gotten Pell grants...

Married? Family?? Lot's of other FINAID?? Low cost of educational program?? I will admit that there are lots of things that go into the equation...but relatively speaking, they're not hard to get.

Married with a wife currently looking for a job. :/ No kids, that would REALLY put us in the financial vise. The dog and two cats are enough for us for the next year or two.

Hey ERAUboi1984,
One of my best friends is currently a student at Riddle. I'll contact you through Private messenger to see if you might know. He is also a freshman

I'm also like you....a freshman in college but i'm getting my 4 year degree at a non aviation school. On Tuesday I will be going up for my first semester at Appalachian State University (which is in the North Carolina Mountains in case you don't know). I did my first semester at a local community college.
I'm going to get my BA in Geography.....why not aviation? Because I would like to have something to fall back and plus I love Geography, and I want to learn more about it. I would personally go get a nonaviation major but thats just my opinion. It's your life so its your decision.
As far as Flight Acadmies........I to am looking at those, although I plan on getting my PPL before I go to one if I even decide to. So far i'm looking at Delta Connection, Flight Safety, and ATP. I will probably look at others as I hear more about them. I looked at PanAm but I am no longer considering them.

Adam

Back