Airline Disease Prevention Protocols

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27505

For all you airline folks, especially international types...

Who is in charge of disease prevention and management at airlines? Is this responsibility typically vested in a specific job title or department? Is it even a specific proactive focus, or kinda sorta a reactive afterthought under the aegis of say, the emergency response manager or some such?

What protocols are in place for nascent pandemics? Are there specific plans/SOPs created, in place, and ready to execute for reacting to an extant threat? Are there specific plans/SOPs for general prevention of transmission of communicative diseases? If so, what are they? Are they published? Do airlines employ/retain epidemiologists and or disease prevention experts and integrate their insights into definite and specific response thresholds that in turn flip the switch on specific, pre-planned response cascades?

Are there Pilot or Airline Management Association or ICAO committees dedicated to this sort of thing, creating best practices, coordinating responses, etc?

Any insight would be appreciated. (I'm keeping the questions general at risk of going TL/DR.)

Lol... here is a sani-wipe... good luck!

But in all seriousness... no. We are left to our own sanitization and prevention protocol. Adding another dept just adds cost to the bottom line.

We have a safety officer who sends out generic emails, which are essentially worthless. IE: Wash your hands, avoid people that are sick, use sani wipes.

We picked up a bird that came from Beijing a few weeks back right before we quit flying there. The cabin was fogged with some sort of disinfectant but beyond that not much I've seen. Then we promptly took it to the ATL so not hard to imagine how these things spread.

So... I ask because... well, it's not like we don't understand that pandemics ARE going to happen.

I'm a bit fearful for the future of humanity, based simply on the vast number of risks we seem blithely to ignore and not plan for, especially given that it's relatively very inexpensive and very much within our capability to do so.

Back