Aircraft collision on North Fox Island

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
2 aircraft crash on North Fox Island

Based on what I heard, nobody was talking on the CTAF, and neither pilot had any idea that anyone else was there.
I don't know if the landing pilot flew over the island before entering the pattern or not, but I'm guessing he didn't since he was unaware of the other airplane down there.

Here's the text from the link:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The U.S. Coast Guard was called to a Lake Michigan island Sunday afternoon to rescue five people after two aircraft collided.

Traverse City NBC affiliate WPBN reports the crash happened before 3:45 p.m. on North Fox Island, which is about 25 miles offshore from Charlevoix. One of the aircraft was taking off and another was landing.

The Coast Guard said Michigan State Police alerted it to the crash. A helicopter from the Traverse City Air Station landed on the island, collected the five people and returned them to the mainland.

Three of the people were then hospitalized in Traverse City. The Coast Guard said their injuries were minor.

Just because I've been out of the game a while - is this the type of thing the ADS-B requirement will eliminate, or will it just be an additional resource not utilized to avoid such an incident?

Just because I've been out of the game a while - is this the type of thing the ADS-B requirement will eliminate, or will it just be an additional resource not utilized to avoid such an incident?

Nope. These airplanes wouldn’t of had to have ADSB to operate in that area. The mandate doesn’t apply to all airspace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a 172 and an Extra 300.
The 172 had lifted off when the Extra came over the trees and landed on top of them (father and two teens in the 172.)
The 172 to be cut up and taken off the island on boats.
I heard the Extra may be flown out.

Back