Air Wisconsin info

ed207063

Just saw in my local newsrag that Air Wisconsin is hiring locally for Passenger Service Agents. Does anybody know how good the compensation/benefits/work environment are for the company? In other words, would they be a good place to start an aviation-related career in a part of the country where any aviation-related job is hard to come by?

Methinks you just answered your own question!
smile.gif

Thou art wise, kind sir. I see your point. I was wondering, though, if anybody who works for the company thinks that it is a good environment to work in. Yes, it may be a foot in the door, but if the work environment is lousy, and the job isn't enjoyable, then no matter what the pay/benefits/experience may be, it's not a good job to have, IMHO. I guess that's the question I was trying to ask.

Air WI is a good company as far as I know.

But even if it wasn't a good company, I'd probably still go there for the experience and contacts.

I never worked for Air Whiskey but I did interview with them for a job as a passenger service agent and it was a little weird.

I went to the information session which was followed by a one on one interview in a suit and tie. At the presentation I found out I was overdressed by about a factor of ten. The guy next to me was wearing sweat pants and a dirty T-shirt. At the interview they talked about how everyone starts on the ramp and works their way up to the gate counter, and asked was I ok with that? No problem. Then the HR lady sees on my App that I went to college. Bang interview over. Her quote "I don't waste my time hiring college kids, you won't stay around for more than a month"

I ended up working for GLA in the same terminal. A few weeks later I spotted dirty T-shirt swinging bags on the ramp......
smirk.gif

Man, that bites!

When I was a pilot for Skyway Airlines, I had applied for Midwest Express. One of the insiders told me not to even waste my time because I was young and had a college degree -- and with a little DC-9 time I'd jump ship to NWA or DAL before the year was out.

I guess they had me figured out!
smile.gif

Syracuse is also a destination for Independence Air once ACA frees itself from UAL's shackles. Air Whisky is actually taking over the UAL station from ACA.

AW is a good company from what I hear. If you want to look into Indy Air as well, go to flyi.com.

>>Then the HR lady sees on my App that I went to college. Bang interview over. Her quote "I don't waste my time hiring college kids, you won't stay around for more than a month"<<

Oh, that's reassuring. I wonder what they'll say about my 4-year degree. At least if it comes up it won't surprise me.

How is the starting pay, in general, for these types of positions? I've seen some sites tout their $8.50/hr 'salary'. Certainly doesn't want to make me give up my full-time job for it.

That really sucks, work hard for your degree and then you are over qualified for the job you want. It makes sence they dont wanna to spend the money on you if you will leave quickly. But I think that says something about that company, that you dont have a good program to keep people around for a few months. I mean what do you expect working ramp, lot of people dont make that a 30 year career.

Exactly. I would assume most people going in to a ramp/counter job will use it as a jumping-off point within the company. I've never seen a 60-year-old chucking bags around the ramp.

I was a customer service agent / ramper for PSA for a year and a half and loved it. The pay was horrible but the flight benefits and real world experience was great. I'd probably still be working there if they hadn't shut down our station and furloughed us all last April, but what can you do. I would say that you should definately go for it. You'll have many early early mornings and many late nights, but if you plan to have a career in aviation you might as well get used to it. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Hey davetheflyer, do you really think Air Indy is here to stay?

I heard Mesa's got the inside track to overthrowing the board and acquiring the company, to keep it a traditional regional air carrier provider. Any input?

Well, a job at the ramp will get your foot in the door. But Air Whiskey does NOT hire rampers to be pilots. GLA did this when I worked for them and our Captains where the ones being hired at AWA. If your looking to learn something about the industry and make a couple contacts, sure go for it. If your thinking a flying job once you have your tickets.....come back when you 1000 PIC 121 time for Air Willy.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
>>Then the HR lady sees on my App that I went to college. Bang interview over. Her quote "I don't waste my time hiring college kids, you won't stay around for more than a month"<<

Oh, that's reassuring. I wonder what they'll say about my 4-year degree. At least if it comes up it won't surprise me.

How is the starting pay, in general, for these types of positions? I've seen some sites tout their $8.50/hr 'salary'. Certainly doesn't want to make me give up my full-time job for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ed207063 having prior knowledge that Air Wisconsin HR dept. doesn't hire college grads for ramp or counter agents.

It might be best to not mention that you ever went to college or at least graduated.

In fact you might even go as far as changing your resume if you in fact listed that you are a college grad.

Isn't it sad that to be hired with an airline as a ramp agent or gate/ticketing agent that having higher education hurts you.

I'ma ramper at CVG and they hire alot of dumb a$$ young kids there who have no goals and are dumb ass rocks and there throwin luggage and fueling 777's and pushin your planes back from the gate.

Scary isn't it....?

Matthew

aka Katsuhara

Back