Air sick

CrazyJ628

Who here will admit to getting air sick and when was the last time? For me it was my first long XC. We made it halfway to the destination airport and I almost hurled. When we landed I took about 15 minutes to eat some crackers and relax and I was fine. It was odd b/c I don't ever get motion sickness unless I'm on some sort of carnival ride.

Got green around the gills off and on for most of my private training. Eased off considerably once I was flying alone. Hasn't happened since, no matter how bad the bumps. Just like getting your sea-legs, I imagine.

While riding in the back of a C172 for required 'observation' during a commercial maneuvers flight....in the afternoon....in May....in Florida...just after eating 3/4 of a medium pepperoni pizza. That was one heavy sick bag! :D

When I did my dual cross country for my student pilot license two years ago. Half-way back and I just lost it.

While riding in the back of a C172 for required 'observation' during a commercial maneuvers flight....in the afternoon....in May....in Florida...just after eating 3/4 of a medium pepperoni pizza. That was one heavy sick bag! :D

Never felt "sick" myself, but riding in the back of a 172 does give me a funny feeling.

I was constantly sick during most of my PPL training. IN fact, I had to open a window and let 'er rip on the last flight before my PP checkride! I did get pretty sick one day flying around in some bumpy conditions in Hickory, NC, a couple of years later.

Since then, I've flown in some horribly bumpy conditions with checks and such in the back. I've never gotten sick, though. I was usually too wrapped up in a copy of Swank or something . . .

Aak.

I still get sick every time i fly. It got moderately better, but it still happens. And when i do get sick, i'm out of commission for the rest of the day. I feel like a nauseated feeling and upset stomach and just not fully there.

Believe it or not, i just finally got over air sickness on airliners and the such! And to imagine, i still love to fly.....

I was on a fight out of WA during a winter storm. We were doing an exercise chasing a sub. Moderate to extreme turbulence was predicted, and encoutered. We were at 500, in and out of the goo, bouncing all over the place, yanking and banking chasing the sub. Everyone aft fo the flight station was puking. The only thing that saved me was being able to stare at Att Indicator and having cold air blow on my face. I couldn't leave the cockpit otherwise would have "sympathy" hurled.

Other than that, once during Aerobatics in primary, and once after not flying for two months, in the back of a T-44 (C-90) while the other student was attempting Steep Turns (60 AOB) with 500-1000 altitude deviations on a hot South Texas afternoon. (Circa 1992)

mcdonalds + aerobatics practice at 8am = you get the idea.

made it about 1/2way back to the airport before utilizing the sack!

Riding in the back of a Cherokee watching a pre-solo student practice landings got me queasy but not enough to hurl. Hopefully it wont happen

Got queasy doing steep turns during pre-solo training when it was 90+° and bumpy. Also during my 2 flights of spin training for CFI. Never actually lost it though.

Flying in a C172 with my husband. There was some minor turbulence but I had been feeling queasy before. Luckily we did a go-around on the airport and just landed again.

Never been airsick in my life. Even while flying in a middle seat in coach between 2 fatties while hungover/still drunk.

Never even felt close to sick when flying. But one time I was riding in the back of a DA-40, and it hit me all of a sudden... I thought I was going to hurl. I think it was in my head though, because I tried focusing on something else and the nausea went away.

Got sick on one of my first dual x-countries for the Private. It was in January and there was an airmet for moderate turbulence below 15,000. My instructor asked "are you sure you want to go today?" "Sure!" So I preflighted the 150.

We were in continuous moderate. About half way to PVD we hit a wicked downdraft and my instructor put his head through the skylight. His headset took the brunt of it.

We turned around and headed back to home base. I was not feeling well and hurled on short final. Luckily he was flying at that point.

That's the only time I got sick.

Got queasy once on partial panel in turbulence.

Airsick

Who here will admit to getting air sick and when was the last time? For me it was my first long XC. We made it halfway to the destination airport and I almost hurled. When we landed I took about 15 minutes to eat some crackers and relax and I was fine. It was odd b/c I don't ever get motion sickness unless I'm on some sort of carnival ride.

I did about 15 hours worth of aerobatic training between my PPL and CPL and I would often end those flights at my limit, having to tell the instructor that I'd prefer to not take them up on their offer on doing a couple more minutes of extra stuff since we were done what we needed to do. Work on hammerheads some more? No, we need to get the ATIS and start back now because Nick's clock is ticking!

A few months went by between GA training flights after my commercial and CFI and that was enough to put me back to the beginning as far as motion tolerance. I had to cut the first several of my CFI lessons short because I knew I would get sick if we continued. It also took me two lessons to do the spin endorsement.

I determined the things to do before that would help the most were:

- Get enough rest. Flying tired, among other undesirable things, made me more susceptible to motion sickness.
- Be hydrated.
- Don't be on an empty stomach.
- Lots of fresh air in the cockpit once maneuvering.
- Induce, recover. Induce, recover. I'd occasionally spin myself around in my desk chair to get a little dizzy and then let myself get back to normal. Then I'd do it again. I do believe this did help a small amount in getting my inner ear to put up with more aerial nonsense.

Bananas are good to eat because they taste the same coming up as they do going down. :p

Re: Airsick

Ginger candy works wonders for nausea and air sickness. Can be found at stores like most asian food stores and cost plus stores.

---it also works to get you feeling better (and things tasting better) should you still hurl

95 degree day, surface winds 29 gusting to 39, flying under the hood at 2,000 AGL for an hour or so. As soon as we got down I looked my instructor in the eye and said "never again."

6.5 hours of flight time and I'm still getting queasy every flight. Haven't figured out a solution yet - going to try ginger products next flight.

Back