Air Evac 206L3 crash, KY

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly, second fatal crash this year for Air Evac Lifeteam, both of which were fatal for all aboard.

Like the previous Oklahoma accident, there was no patient aboard as ths helo was making an approach to land to pickup the patient, whereas the Oklahoma one had already dropped off its patient. Hit a radio antenna stabilizer/guy wire on approach to the ball field Landing Zone, resulting in destruction of the helo as it fell to the ground and exploded.

Difficult one to understand, day VFR. Experienced pilot and crew. Apparently a high recon completed. Very prominent 601’ tall radio tower painted in the standard orange and white every 50 feet, just southwest of the landing zone, always assume guy wires attached, especially on ones this height.

They have serious belly scratchers in the midwest, and the footprint of the guy wires is no joke.

They have serious belly scratchers in the midwest, and the footprint of the guy wires is no joke.
The footprint is an unfortunate necessity for them. And they don’t get the lighting (day strobe / night red) that the actual tower does. So you have to give them a wide berth. That said, if a high recon had been accomplished, and presumably the crew had been here before, it’s a head scratcher as to why this occurred. Momentary loss of SA, at the worse moment, is all I can think. With that tower there, there’s really no reason to be in the southwest quadrant of that LZ during any approach or departure.

This was pretty close to where I grew up. The local hospital in my hometown has their sister Air Evac team based there. The pilot clearly had been doing it for a long time. One momentary brain fart and tragedy. Those towers really are no joke. I'm surprised they haven't thought of a way to make those guy wires more visible in low light conditions.

This appears to be the location where it happened. You can see the ballfield on the right that they were using as an LZ. It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to catch one of those wires if you're not on top of your game.

Last edited:
Sadly, second fatal crash this year for Air Evac Lifeteam, both of which were fatal for all aboard.

Like the previous Oklahoma accident, there was no patient aboard as ths helo was making an approach to land to pickup the patient, whereas the Oklahoma one had already dropped off its patient. Hit a radio antenna stabilizer/guy wire on approach to the ball field Landing Zone, resulting in destruction of the helo as it fell to the ground and exploded.

Difficult one to understand, day VFR. Experienced pilot and crew. Apparently a high recon completed. Very prominent 601’ tall radio tower painted in the standard orange and white every 50 feet, just southwest of the landing zone, always assume guy wires attached, especially on ones this height.

Met him a few times, quite a guy. This is unforgiving flying.

Back