Air Cargo Carriers

NW004

Anyone know If they would be willing to take a 250TT 90ME fresh commercial willing to work hard?

I'm from Milwaukee , and currently finishing up commercial down in FL. Willing to live anywhere. But does anyone know If its a good idea to just blindly go into their headquarters and ask. Would that be bad in their eyes?

FYI if you aren't SUPER proficient and have never struggled in training I wouldn't do it. A friend just went there after being away from flying for 6 months and they gave him no leeway during training. No extra sims or anything just sent him home when he got behind in fixed base sims. From what I understand they are an alright company but expect you to be able to perform at 100% during training and have no instrument deficiencies. In regards to showing up cold, almost always a bad idea unless you know someone. I would try hard to network and meet someone to get you in for a meeting.

FYI if you aren't SUPER proficient and have never struggled in training I wouldn't do it. A friend just went there after being away from flying for 6 months and they gave him no leeway during training. No extra sims or anything just sent him home when he got behind in fixed base sims. From what I understand they are an alright company but expect you to be able to perform at 100% during training and have no instrument deficiencies. In regards to showing up cold, almost always a bad idea unless you know someone. I would try hard to network and meet someone to get you in for a meeting.

Was he expecting leeway?

Yes, he was very clear about his currency in the interview and they had no problem with it, and said provided he was legally instrument current he should have no trouble. I don't expect them to change their training program but an extra sim or some help in the evening from an instructor should be available. I have found this to be a common trend in small airlines. I understand that money is certainly an object with any company, particularly smaller but I'm always surprised when an airline has a good employee that would probably even end up pretty loyal with some help and an extra sim or two but instead choose to fire them. The real problem is that nobody stops to think what this does to the pilot's career. At this point you can't hide it. I've seen it happen with multiple airlines I've worked for and I never quite understand the logic of not giving someone a chance, it's almost as if with one hiccup there's a target on a student's back instantly.

Yes, he was very clear about his currency in the interview and they had no problem with it, and said provided he was legally instrument current he should have no trouble. I don't expect them to change their training program but an extra sim or some help in the evening from an instructor should be available. I have found this to be a common trend in small airlines. I understand that money is certainly an object with any company, particularly smaller but I'm always surprised when an airline has a good employee that would probably even end up pretty loyal with some help and an extra sim or two but instead choose to fire them. The real problem is that nobody stops to think what this does to the pilot's career. At this point you can't hide it. I've seen it happen with multiple airlines I've worked for and I never quite understand the logic of not giving someone a chance, it's almost as if with one hiccup there's a target on a student's back instantly.

How do you know this guy didn't suck and maybe ACC determined that he wouldn't make it with just an extra sim or two?

How do you know this guy didn't suck and maybe ACC determined that he wouldn't make it with just an extra sim or two?

Flown with him a lot and helped him re-prep for another interview in a sim. Minimal effort required.

Meh, everyone is so quick to blame the company for lack of ability or currency in training. ACC and similar operators don't have the time to babysit and hand hold. Company training is there to teach you new things and to make sure you have company policies and procedures down. If you can't fly an airplane, it isn't their job to hand hold and retrain your instrument ticket, or reteach you multi engine skills. Welcome to the world of professional flying, this isn't the weekend warrior flight school anymore.

You either got the goods or you don't. Don't ever get hired and expect the company to do basic training. That gets old and expensive (for the company) real fast.

I agree, a company can't waste money on people. Perhaps I was too quick to defend him, he probably should have made sure he was 100% proficient and ready for training. I do think that they should clearly advertise this in the interview though. He is a trustworthy individual and said they were pretty clear that he didn't need to go get sim time or anything before he showed up.

Back