Age 35 - First Class with EKG

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
I turned 35 this year and my next first class medical will have the EKG.

I would like to go to my family physician next month for a regular old check-up (non-FAA) and get an EKG.

Is there anywhere I can find out what they're looking for on the FAA EKG so that I can have my family doctor look for those same things? I want to find out ahead of time if there is going to be any problem with an FAA medical so that I can start working on correcting it ahead of time if necessary.

Thanks!

Here are the normal variants they accept.:

NORMAL ECG VARIANTS
  • Sinus bradycardia rate between 50 and 59
  • Sinus arrhythmia
  • Wandering arrhythmiamaker
  • Low atrial rhythm
  • Ectopic atrial rhythm
  • Indeterminate axis
  • First-degree atrioventricular block
  • Mobitz Type I Second Degree AV block (Wenckebach phenomenon)
  • One premature ventricular contraction or atrial contraction on a 12-lead ECG
  • Incomplete RT bundle branch block
  • Intraventricular conduction delay
  • Early repolarization
  • Left ventricular hypertrophy by voltage criteria only
  • Low voltage in limb leads (may be a sign of obesity or hypothyroidism)
  • Left Axis deviation less than or equal to -30 degrees
  • ‘rSR’ in leads V1 or V2, ORS interval <0.12 msec
  • R> S wave in V1 without other evidence of right ventricular hypertrophy1

There is nothing you can do to alter your ECG.

I understand there's nothing I can do to alter it. But if they're going to find something, then I would like to have that information ahead of time so I can get my ducks in a row.

Any other abnormality other than those listed will probably require a cardiology evaluation. I have had only one request from the FAA for a cardiology evaluation in the last 2 years and aviation medicine is all I do.

There is nothing you can do to alter your ECG.

IF I had an ECG at age 23 it shoudnt be any different than at age 35, unless I have a heart attaack or soemthing, or eat cholesterol all day everyday ? there is nothing a person can do to alter an ECG to help but a person can make it worse by other things ???

ever since I made the decision to become a pilot it is awesome how often you can actual speak or get an answer directly from an AME (or that has been my experience) Thank You doc for the prompt answers always.

Back