After Graduation?

clayfenderstrat

I am currently in high school, and am working toward my PPL. I plan on attending Purdue to get a degree in professional flight. I just wanted to know, after graduation, what happens? Do you get any automatic job offerings, or do you have to build time? Other than flight instructing, is there anything else available? Does anybody lower their minimums for graduates, or are there any jobs that you can get right out of school?

Thanks a lot!

~Clay

I am currently in high school, and am working toward my PPL. I plan on attending Purdue to get a degree in professional flight.

That's a shame.

I just wanted to know, after graduation, what happens?

You either move back in with your parents or you find a job and live on your own... or you find a job and live with your parents.

Do you get any automatic job offerings, or do you have to build time?
Nothing is automatic. With minimums as they are, there seems to be no more "building time" if you don't want to.

Other than flight instructing, is there anything else available?
Why don't you want to flight instruct?

Does anybody lower their minimums for graduates, or are there any jobs that you can get right out of school?
Yes.

If you are set on college then get a degree in something you enjoy. Aviation will always be waiting for you. After that, knock out those ratings and get your CFI. Then enjoy the ride to the majors.

And I know I'm going against the grain here, but the degree you get means nothing in the long run. If a career in aviation is what you want, then what the hell good is a degree in (fill in useless profession). Realize your goal and go for it. Don't forget, a degree is simply a tool. It's by no means a guarantee into that profession.

The degree checks a square.

If aviation doesn't work out for a time, a degree in something other than aviation might help you succeed in something other than aviation. Also, a degree in another area of interest outside aviation can check the square while giving you experience in another area.

For example, I enjoy working with kids. A degree in education, child psyc, or counseling, would have filled the square while allowing me to pursue something much more meaningful than flying. Just a thought....

It's no big thing. A guideline rather than a rule. But it makes perfect sense to me.

I would say definitely go for another degree - after graduating I have a grand total of 404/18 after 4 years (including 2 years part-time instructing for 'em). Even with the hiring boom I'm back to square one instructing, which is the same situation I could have been in with a useful degree. You could build time instructing at other places over the summer, but then it's back to the slim pickings during the school year. You can get all the ratings done in a few months at a career flight school (plus better jet transition courses than learning the dinosaur 727). I heard they are now making flight people take a minor due to the dim prospects if graduates can't or don't want to fly after graduation.

Back