Aerial Banners plane crash

The preliminary report is out, and this doesn’t seem to be related to the accident, but the airframe total time caught my attention: 95,731.1 hours during the last annual in March 2023. Yes, niner fife seven tree one.

I'm having a difficult time accepting this. Assuming 2000 hours/year utilization it would still take over 47 years to accumulate this much time.
(no one flies general aviation aircraft 2000hr/yr)

((I mean, it's probably correct, but yikes!))

(((Also, I am aware that the only part of the plane that has 95k on it is the name plate...)))

I'm having a difficult time accepting this. Assuming 2000 hours/year utilization it would still take over 47 years to accumulate this much time.

(((Also, I am aware that the only part of the plane that has 95k on it is the name plate...)))

Being a banner tow plane, 8 hours a day, 7 days a week over a beach that is packed 365 days a year, it wouldn’t be out of the ordinary.

There has been some change to the “data tag” restoration loop hole. The FAA determined that was not in the public’s best interest. I don’t have the reference in front of me, but I can get it if you want a sleep aid tonight.

Being a banner tow plane, 8 hours a day, 7 days a week over a beach that is packed 365 days a year, it wouldn’t be out of the ordinary.

There has been some change to the “data tag” restoration loop hole. The FAA determined that was not in the public’s best interest. I don’t have the reference in front of me, but I can get it if you want a sleep aid tonight.

I've worked for 24 hour 365 ops and even then we never got close to 2000/year

If you have the reference lying around, great. (don't go crazy finding it)

Meh, for an airplane that flew AG and banners and was 57-58 years old, I don’t think 95,000 hours seems unreasonable.

Meh, for an airplane that flew AG and banners and was 57-58 years old, I don’t think 95,000 hours seems unreasonable.

Not impossible.
Banner flying isn't an 8 hours a day 7 days a week gig.
The busy days are on nice days and closer to the weekend.
It's seasonal, even in florida.
But still... probably 95000 is probably correct.

For comparison. The tow company I worked for was out of OH, so the winter months were slow. We were still flying 1200-1500hrs/yr. So, being a Southern based towing company, I can definitely see how this would checkout.

Given how much the Pawnee Ag pilots I've talked to flew, that checks out. In the summer, those things are running every minute the sun is up.

Back