Aer Lingus

scramjet

Aer Lingus is hiring again for IAD based F/As. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them. Is it "proto-scabbing" or any other similar concept? My guess is UA and Air Lingus "mainline" crews must be upset by this outsourcing... What are the flying benefits like? Any jumpseat agreements? I ask this because I know a lot of European airlines only do ID90 and 95 type fares even within the system. I have heard that there is a probationary period of six months with regards to travel benefits. I guess I'll toss in an application, but I think they are looking for experienced flight attendants.

Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

I normally dont stick my nose into FA affairs, but while it is NOT scabbing, it is lowering the bar for the industry.

The one flight that you would be hired for, should be done by mainline UAL flight attendants.

Any idea of the pay and benefits? Who is doing the actual hiring?

I normally dont stick my nose into FA affairs, but while it is NOT scabbing, it is lowering the bar for the industry.

The one flight that you would be hired for, should be done by mainline UAL flight attendants.
Precisely my reservations on the job...

It's funny on the Indeed job forums, there's this one guy (supposedly a former United FA that applied to Aer Lingus) that keeps saying something to the effect of "but you get to train at United and they have ping pong and table tennis tables!" every time someone criticizes Aer Lingus. Like that somehow makes up for the rest and makes or breaks the deal. :laff:

v1valarob said:
Any idea of the pay and benefits? Who is doing the actual hiring?
I believe a new US based company is doing the hiring. Pay apparently is $21/hour with "full benefits," so I guess that's slightly below average knowing CO and other US mainline carriers start at around $25. Not sure what the flight and jumpseat benefits are...I have a feeling that it's "all ID90/95, all the time" even within the system as a lot of foreign airlines operate on that model.

Which pilot group is flying those flights?

Which pilot group is flying those flights?

I have no idea. I was hoping finding the FA hiring company, would lead to the Pilot one.

Im sure this company will easily get low seniority UAL FAs to jump ship.

Its gotta be an easy gig considering they have ONE flight!

I have no idea. I was hoping finding the FA hiring company, would lead to the Pilot one.

Im sure this company will easily get low seniority UAL FAs to jump ship.

Its gotta be an easy gig considering they have ONE flight!
I think it's called "Aer Lingus Limited" or something like that. I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that it's a US Part 121 carrier but that may be incorrect as the flight attendants apparently operate under JAR regulations. But that's only what I've seen on other forums, so I don't know. :dunno:

Didn't USAir and BA have a similar agreement in the mid 90s? I seem to recall that for awhile, USAir was operating aircraft and providing crews for BA using US aircraft with the BA flag.

The office in NY is the North American HR and North American operations for Aer Lingus. It is not a seperate company or contracted 3rd party vendor. You are hired by Aer Lingus, Trained by Aer Lingus, and paid by Aer Lingus. No Airline starts at 25.00 an hour but possibly SWA if that. Starting pay for most airlines is usually 17.00-19.00. Airtran starts at 19.00. Also Delta starts 19.30. so pay for Aer Lingus is not bad at all. In addition to the pay there is per diem included of around 76 dollars per trip and 2.00 and hour international pay. Training is paid and you would be housed for training. Aer Lingus has a phenominal reputation amongst its employees and veteran employees as well despite the financial issue they have gone through in the past. So if your interested in being with a legacy european carrier this is your opportunity. Best of Luck

P.S.- What is indeed?

The office in NY is the North American HR and North American operations for Aer Lingus. It is not a seperate company or contracted 3rd party vendor. You are hired by Aer Lingus, Trained by Aer Lingus, and paid by Aer Lingus. No Airline starts at 25.00 an hour but possibly SWA if that. Starting pay for most airlines is usually 17.00-19.00. Airtran starts at 19.00. Also Delta starts 19.30. so pay for Aer Lingus is not bad at all. In addition to the pay there is per diem included of around 76 dollars per trip and 2.00 and hour international pay. Training is paid and you would be housed for training. Aer Lingus has a phenominal reputation amongst its employees and veteran employees as well despite the financial issue they have gone through in the past. So if your interested in being with a legacy european carrier this is your opportunity. Best of Luck

In addition to above the main office for Aer Lingus is in Dublin, Ireland which is over all operations NA and European. The Washington base is being overseen by Dublin where training also takes place at for the crews. However training starts in Chicago at the United Airlines training center for 2 or 3 weeks then the company sends the trainees to Dublin, Ireland. Training flights will be flown out of Dublin to the United States and then trainees will be scheduled in to the regular crew schedules in Washington after successful completion of the training course. It also states that you must be a confident swimmer.

At 6months of service you are eligible for zed fares on most carriers. Aer Lingus also has its own privileges for staff after 6months. This is standard for mostly all European carriers. Apparently Aer Lingus has a special agreement with United Airlines for the crew-members who choose to commute to and from work prior to the 6months of service rule. I believe parking at IAD is free for employees, and the company will pay up to a certain percentage for parking at the local airport commuters park their vehicles at. New routes are coming soon as Aer Lingus is now in deeper talk's with United on new destinations.

Back