AE vacany/displacement bid

Yeah but paying for D2's to ORD along with fighting for the jumpseat with AA Pilots, AA FAs, United Pilots, United FAs and the like....no thanks. Plus the idea of a crashpad and more could eat up the jet pay and QOL. Plus if I displaced to the ERJ I would never get the CRJ until I upgrade or get displaced again. I like the CRJ...we get fresh coffee!!!!!!
Stillageek, who ya flying with this month...and how long you been on the CRJ?

PM me if you'd like.

As much as I dislike commuting- I'm considering the other angle- pay. Staying DFW based would be ideal for me, but if staying in DFW meant going to the ATR and taking a fat paycut at the same time, that just doesn't make sense to me. I asked for ORD/EMJ as my first displacement. Why? When I get pushed out, I keep the jet scale of pay and just bid back into Dallas.

Then again if the line I picked up in ORD was good enough, commuting might not be that bad. Three day trips, a long turn for overtime, and a commute home might not really be that terrible.

What's your sanity and time off worth to you?

Me? I'm willing to make less money if I have a lot more days off, and you're going to burn a ton of days trying to do a hub to hub commute.

Don't think that because you have hubs in both cities that it'll be an easier commute, those are almost always the hardest commutes out there! Those flights (on the airline we work for) are almost always oversold, and are pretty much impossible to commute on. You have to two leg it between the bases, which isn't fun.

Staying in base is HUGE, and don't discount what you gain by staying in base. Plus the ATR would be a blast to fly!

Yeah but paying for D2's to ORD along with fighting for the jumpseat with AA Pilots, AA FAs, United Pilots, United FAs and the like....no thanks. Plus the idea of a crashpad and more could eat up the jet pay and QOL. Plus if I displaced to the ERJ I would never get the CRJ until I upgrade or get displaced again. I like the CRJ...we get fresh coffee!!!!!!

It's relative. Getting pushed out to ORD but keeping my seat in the jet would mean just waiting until a vacancy bid posted back in DFW.

Getting out of a displaced domicile is a lot easier than getting out of a displaced airframe, which I believe can still take 14 months.

What's your sanity and time off worth to you?

Me? I'm willing to make less money if I have a lot more days off, and you're going to burn a ton of days trying to do a hub to hub commute.

Don't think that because you have hubs in both cities that it'll be an easier commute, those are almost always the hardest commutes out there! Those flights (on the airline we work for) are almost always oversold, and are pretty much impossible to commute on. You have to two leg it between the bases, which isn't fun.

Staying in base is HUGE, and don't discount what you gain by staying in base. Plus the ATR would be a blast to fly!

Like I said to Stillageek, getting back to DFW while still on the jet would be way easier than getting back on the jet from the ATR. I'd be willing to look for the bright side of commuting to ORD for a few months until I could bid back to Dallas.

Commuting is no picnic, I know that... but still. Having a career in this business is about the long-term picture, not the day to day. The day to day earns the check. The long-term earns the life.

Erm....how's going to the ATR going to hurt your career?

You are saying, "A few months," but I wouldn't bet on that. I expected to be in Newark "for a few months," and a year later I'm still commuting across the country to reserve.

Erm....how's going to the ATR going to hurt your career?

You are saying, "A few months," but I wouldn't bet on that. I expected to be in Newark "for a few months," and a year later I'm still commuting across the country to reserve.

I am thinking ATR for a few months as I will likely be somewhat senior on it and to the lower ERJ FOs. There will always be a vacancy in DFW and the ERJ so I can transfer to it if I get close to 3rd year pay on the ATR.

Back